Front drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mayordaily

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the front drive shaft on my 2002 Disco and am wondering if I need to also replace the centering ball unit.? Are there any other components that I need to look at?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by the centering ball unit....

Driveshaft you can just replace the U-joints, unless you goal is to get a better setup.

mayordaily

Reaction score
drive shaft

Hi Joey,
In my rush to post my question I failed to state I was looking to "rebuild" the front shaft. I read somewhere that in addition to purchasing u-joints it's recommended to also pick up a centering ball kit??? I had assumed that the u-joint is a complete unit. In addition to the u-joint, are there any other parts you recommend that I swap when working on the shaft? My mounting collars are rusty but seem solid. Thanks for the quick response to my original posting!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would think the U-joints should do the job.

chris02disco

Reaction score
Hello
I just rebuilt my front prop shaft a few months ago. I would recommend getting the "center ball kit". I didn't and it was a pain to get it back together and lined up correctly. I may have to replace mine eventually because the rubber cover was starting to crack. I guess it is just another thing that I have to keep an eye on. Remember if you replace your u joints with greasable ones grease them at every oil change. Hope this helps.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely replace the centering ball as well.
If you have a place like Advance Auto Parts near you you can get PDQ 10005 u-joint which is in reality a reboxed Neapco u-joint, cost is about $14 each. If you can't find PDQ then the Neapco same PN will run you $25-$30.
Centering kit PN is Neapco 7-0081NG.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You absolutely have to replace the centering ball kit or your shaft will fail in short order.

tempestv8

Reaction score
I think it really depends on how bad the Unis in the Hookes Joint have degraded to. Sometimes it's OK just to replace the two unis if the center ball joint is still OK.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but why bother? You're 3/4 of the way there to replace the centering ball when you have both u-joints out. Yes, if you're doing it out on a trail, but in your garage, or a shop, it's silly not to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi