New To Land Rover, HSE or HSE LUX?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eastLR4

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! - I'm looking for some help with the HSE or HSE LUX decision. I'm ready to buy the LR4 after looking at the Range Rover and this LR4. I currently own a Nissan 350Z Nismo (pictured) and need a 2nd car for poor weather and extra space. I'm going to buy the white 2011 LR4 near the end of July or sometime in August.

I'm really a big fan of the new headlights of the LR4 (versus the LR3) and am pretty much buying the HSE version for that reason alone: Front Halogen Projection Lamps with LED Signature Lighting. Now I don't really like the Halogen part... and I read a thread here on swapping that out to either other whiter halogens or HIDs. Not sure how hard that was to do or what the end effect was (does it give the nice white Xenon HID projection light found on my 350z and cars with a real Xenon HID like the Range Rover, etc?)

So with that dilemma, I'm considering stepping up to the LUX version gives Xenon from the factory which I do value (OEM equipment) but am not sure if its worth $5,000 more? I know you also get the higher quality leather and the premium sound system... I figure with $5,000 saved I could add the Xenon lights myself and an even better sound system, which I plan on doing anyways.

Is the LUX leather/HID/480 watt sound system worth the $5,000 premium?

Also, as far as pricing is considered - I went today to the Land Rover dealer in Parsippany NJ and was looking at the RR HSE as well and the guy offered $6,000 off MSRP. We didn't talk about the LR4 in detail since my first choice was the RR but thought it over and felt going with the LR4 would be a much easier financial decision. How much discounts have you guys been receiving from your dealers on the LR4?

Thank you!

Attachments

• field_06.jpg
    field_06.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 191
  • garage_02.jpg
    garage_02.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 188
  • field_08.jpg
    field_08.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 189
  • garage_06.jpg
    garage_06.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 200

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no, here we ago again! :)

HSE non-lux all the way.

My LR4 HSE non-lux sticker was $55,800, I paid $51k flat.

Last edited:

eastLR4

Reaction score
Sorry! I kept getting this when searching the forum for lux or hse vs lux "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search"

Anyhow I found 1 other thread buried deep and I'm going regular HSE. Why pay $5,000 for something I can upgrade myself for a fraction of the cost.

Thats why I love this forum already!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry! I kept getting this when searching the forum for lux or hse vs lux "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search"

Anyhow I found 1 other thread buried deep and I'm going regular HSE. Why pay $5,000 for something I can upgrade myself for a fraction of the cost.

Thats why I love this forum already!

Don't worry about not searching before posting on this forum :)

The non-lux vs. lux debate will go on forever, it's like the manual vs. double-clutch debate.

I couldn't agree with you more! The non-lux HSE is already really well equipped and the money saved can go into usefuls tools and mods!

Nice ride btw... I sold my 2008 M3 back in Nov.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! - I'm looking for some help with the HSE or HSE LUX decision. I'm ready to buy the LR4 after looking at the Range Rover and this LR4. I currently own a Nissan 350Z Nismo (pictured) and need a 2nd car for poor weather and extra space. I'm going to buy the white 2011 LR4 near the end of July or sometime in August.

I'm really a big fan of the new headlights of the LR4 (versus the LR3) and am pretty much buying the HSE version for that reason alone: Front Halogen Projection Lamps with LED Signature Lighting. Now I don't really like the Halogen part... and I read a thread here on swapping that out to either other whiter halogens or HIDs. Not sure how hard that was to do or what the end effect was (does it give the nice white Xenon HID projection light found on my 350z and cars with a real Xenon HID like the Range Rover, etc?)

So with that dilemma, I'm considering stepping up to the LUX version gives Xenon from the factory which I do value (OEM equipment) but am not sure if its worth $5,000 more? I know you also get the higher quality leather and the premium sound system... I figure with $5,000 saved I could add the Xenon lights myself and an even better sound system, which I plan on doing anyways.

Is the LUX leather/HID/480 watt sound system worth the $5,000 premium?

Also, as far as pricing is considered - I went today to the Land Rover dealer in Parsippany NJ and was looking at the RR HSE as well and the guy offered $6,000 off MSRP. We didn't talk about the LR4 in detail since my first choice was the RR but thought it over and felt going with the LR4 would be a much easier financial decision. How much discounts have you guys been receiving from your dealers on the LR4?

Thank you!
Hey there,

This is definitely something that has come up on this forum. If you don't mind spending the money, then go for the Lux. If you want the HID lights, then I think you can get the HSE non-lux and get the vission assist package and you'd still be well below the cost of the Lux. I have the HSE and changed out my lights according to the thread by Count Laszlo and they look awesom!

Keep us posted and best of luck!

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had it to do over again I would probably get the LUX. BUT let me say there is absolutely nothing wrong with the HSE non LUX. I love it. My reasons for wanting the LUX are the passive keyless entry and the HID lights. I can make do without the passive keyless entry. Just a cool feature n my mind. I too have replaced the stock headlights with the Phillips CV ultras and they are a very close facsimile to the HIDs. Vision assist is a neat feature but I think most owners especially on this forum would say it is very
"buggy". I believe there is a TSB for the surround camera package to fix this. Take a look at both. It may or may not come down to price. Either way you are getting a LR4!

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the leather goes... Do you have dogs? Young kids? The LUX leather is a little softer. That's it. That is one thing that I wouldn't trade out on my non LUX. I feel like the leather is more durable in the non LUX. I have a 25lb Boston Terrier who travels with us a lot and hopefully, God willing, babies in the near future and I feel more comfortable with the non LUX leather. I'm sure some LUX owners will disagree with me and that is fine. Just my opinion.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We don't have the LUX package, and the one missing feature that is driving me nuts is the lack of memory seat / mirrors.

I think it's crazy that on a $55K truck, this isn't a standard feature.

Passive keyless entry would nice to have too, but I've never had it before, so I don't miss it.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the leather goes... Do you have dogs? Young kids? The LUX leather is a little softer. That's it. That is one thing that I wouldn't trade out on my non LUX. I feel like the leather is more durable in the non LUX. I have a 25lb Boston Terrier who travels with us a lot and hopefully, God willing, babies in the near future and I feel more comfortable with the non LUX leather. I'm sure some LUX owners will disagree with me and that is fine. Just my opinion.

Agree on the leather front, this was my main reason for the non-lux. I think the non-lux leather looks better, doesn't have that pleated tuck on the edges which IMO looks very Lexus (Japanese luxury) and since the leather is softer, I don't worry about ruining it... This is a Land Rover after all and although a lot of owners won't put this beast through the paces, I do and appreciate the simplicity more. I've also had all the fancy features on my old M3, folding mirrors, key-less entry, etc etc and never used them and/or never found a good reason to have them for the extra cash.

eastLR4

Reaction score
Hey there,

This is definitely something that has come up on this forum. If you don't mind spending the money, then go for the Lux. If you want the HID lights, then I think you can get the HSE non-lux and get the vission assist package and you'd still be well below the cost of the Lux. I have the HSE and changed out my lights according to the thread by Count Laszlo and they look awesom!

Keep us posted and best of luck!

I guess I will see what the best deal is. Money is of course a factor or I'd go for the LUX version. (Actually I'd just get the RR instead, lol). That vision assist package does sound pretty nice. It's the only real reason for the LUX in my opinion. To answer some of the other questions I do not have any pets that can travel inside a car or kids and don't plan on having those in the near future. Keyless entry I'm sure would be useful but I wouldn't want to pay for it (should be standard). The memory seats would be nice but probably not worth the premium again. I'm thinking I'd like to save even that $1,800 on the vision assist package with a DIY change...

For Finlayforprez, Laszlao, and LRnewbie11 - how hard was it to change the lights out? What color is your headlight now as seen from an oncoming driver? I'm looking for that white or every so slight mixed with blue tint on the headlights as seen on normal HID's.

You guys have pretty much made my decision to go with the HSE version. Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA