climate control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Amir

it was pretty cold last night (around 14) in nyc. I noticed the climate contorl (in full auto mode) wasn't warming up the cabin to what it was set to (70 degrees). shouldn't the climate control maintain the temp inside the cabin to whatever its set to, regardless of the outside temperature.

also, does the compressor run in cold temperatures as well? you would think that only fans/blowers with hot air would be enough in the winter time (for the sake of fuel economy). another question i had was about the rear air conditioning, if i am the only one in the car, is it a good idea to keep the rear air conditioning on (in full auto mode) to keep the overall cabin temperature even or is it better to leave it off. and if i do leave the rear airconditioning off, would the climate control still maintain a set temperature in the entire cabin evenly anyway? the manual says that it in the full auto mode the rear-air-conditioning mimicks the front temperature settings.

i am asking this from the point of view of fuel economy as i am not sure if there is second compressor for the rear air-conditioning or if its just the blowers in the rear.

D

dronedog

i've noticed that even when it is cold, if there is sun on the sensor on the dash you will get cold air out of the vents. i thought at first this may have to do with the black interior but now i do not think so. it does bring up a question to me though. is this the same sensor that turns on the auto headlights and if so is it adjustable? on the beamer, there are 3 settings for the auto on headlights. that dealer told us that virtually all dealers set it to the most sensitive because they are afraid of lawsuits if it doesn't have the lights come on with the slightest darkness. i had mine changed to the least sensitive and it is fine. but if the lights and the hetaer work off the same sensor...hmmm. i do not have the auto lights on the LR but i have wondered about the heater. if i start to get cold, i throw a hat on the dash. air gets hot quick.
i'd ask the dealer but...
the dog

X

xcursion

Was the car's temperature low when it was not heating up the interior? On older cars, heater is just air from outside and with engin heat to turn it into hot air. Compressor is not on. So when the engin is not warm, then there is not hot air. But on this high tech truck, well, hard to say. But to be sure, you can always turn the "econ" mode on to make sure the compressor is off. Same goes with the rear AC, I turn it off when no one is there to lighten the load on the compressor and therefore better mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Amir

no the car's temperature was normal (around halfway between C and H markings). I think the combination of cold and hot air in this truck is what keeps the windows/windscreen fog-free regardless of how cold it is outside. I have also noticed that in full auto mode, air coming from the dash-vents (where the dash and windscreen meet) is always cold (not too cold) with knobs set in between 68 and 72, no matter what the outside temperature is.

xcursion, does the econ mode shut the compressor off completely or does it turns it on and off alternatively? At the time when i picked up the car, my dealer had told me that the full auto mode also calculates the humidity level in the car and keeps the humidity level at a comfortable level, so i think may be for this reason the compressor is on during winter time as well. Also when you turn off the rear air, wouldn't it make the system work harder to keep the entire cabin at the desired temperature as now you have one source to maintain the same big cabin...

While the system is off, does it allow the fresh air to come in thru the vents or it does it closes the vents as well when you shut the system off therefore mimicking the "recirculate" mode in older cars.

X

xcursion

Amir, in most cars, econ mode means no A/C so no compressor on. And when you turn off the rear A/C, it turns off the sensors at the back, along with the actual air flow. The front A/C monitor the front temperature via front sensors, so yes, in a way, it works more to compensate when front air flows to the back. But it should still be lighter load than when all sensors and motors are turning.

With the system off, it shuts off compressor and motors that propel the air. So there should be no air, fresh or recirculate, at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dronedog

the other thing i thought of was to get some thin black foam padding cut to fit in the skylight openings above the netting. i know on our other car, you can feel the difference if the sun roof cover is slid back. that glass does not do much as an insulator.
the dog

X

xcursion

The sensors for the auto headlight is located in the black platic shell behind the rearview mirror (along with the sensor for wiper) and I don't think its adjustable...As for the hat trick, it will throw the computer off by insulating the sensor from the environment.

If you want to block the glass roof with foam padding (doesnt sound like a very good idea thou), make sure it will withstand the heat cuz it does get pretty hot in there. And white would be a better color to reflect the heat.

A

Amir

"With the system off, it shuts off compressor and motors that propel the air. So there should be no air, fresh or recirculate, at all."

yes but when you turn everything off the ducts openings should also be left at whatever position they are in at the time you turn the system off (open or re-circulate) unless the system closes the ducts openings at the time of you push the off button (essentially putting in re-circulate mode). After i turn everything off in my old camery and then move the lever from re-circulate to fresh air, i can still feel the air coming in if i am driving and the flow/amount of air depends on the speed of the car. I guess i will do an experiment with the LR3 tomorrow...

A

Amir

reading thru another forum, i ran into a thread talking about a service bulletin for the climate control module update...any thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA