Freelander engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scroverovwner

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum but I have also been bitten by a FreeLander, 2002 SE.

The engine is about to go and the transmition is gone.

Has anyone heard of someone putting another brand of engine/transmission in? for example a honda engine and trans?
Does anyone know where to get more info about this type of modification?
I would have to pay someone to make the swap, this may make it impossible (?)

I would love to keep the vehicle if I can make it usable.

thanks
Ben

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I know you can put in a diesel, but never heard of another brand.

scroverovwner

Reaction score
diesel engine

Any idea what kind of diesel engine it was?

Do you know where I might find more info?

thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
They come with a Diesel in the UK and almost every country but the Old USA. I am sure that you can either hope someone from Europe is reading and can help or do a Google search for breaker yards in Europe and see about having an engine/transmission shipped over.

Shermie

Reaction score
Same dilemma

Hi:

I was faced with the same dilemma about 1/2 a year ago.

My 2002SE Transmission started to slip into F4 and F3 late 2007. The repair bill for that was $7KUSD, decided to wait.

Then one day my KV6 Engine suddenly died in a catastrophic way.

The Land Rover mechanics all told me I needed a New Engine and a Transmission.

Sold a $35KUSD the car 5+ years later for $1400 USD.

A replacement Jatco Box and an Engine cost over $10KUSD remanufactured.

New... probably about $15KUSD the pair.

You may be able to convert the car to the 1.8 Euro Engine and Transmission by having the engine mounting points welded into the body and an electrical harness modification, but I cannot see how this would save any money over remanufactured units.

These cars are a headache, and Land Rover has turned their back on all 02-06 Freelander owners.

What happened here was a design with cheap outsourced parts in key areas.

I cannot say enough about the body and style of any Freelander, they do have the LR toughness. But they mated this wonderful vehicle to a cheaply manufactured Chinese Engine with Epoxied Cylinder sleeves and a Japanese Jatco box that breaks anywhere from 35Kmiles up to about 55kmiles.

All of the systematic issues shared by thousands of vocal and the other thousands of silent Freelander owners fall on deaf ears. Even lawyers don't want to touch this, they say the car is so bad, it would be hard to prove in court a specific issue that was wrong with this car, as there are dozens of specific issues, not just one. Ironic :)

Some Freelander owners are lucky and their cars break at 80K.

Bought a Mitsubishi Outlander. Never looked back...

You probably could have a custom mechanic drop an engine and transmission in as long as the geometry and interfaces are correctly modified and the electricals are correctly done on the Siemens Engine Control system, not trivial in any way or form.

Today's complex electrical engine control systems don't make engine swaps easy. These things were much simpler back in the days of Distributors, Points, Condensers and Carburetors.

Good luck,
Rich

godspeed

Reaction score
A friend of mine that developed the freelander cooling kit that makes the engine more reliable is working on a swap kit that will allow the installation of a honda civic drivetrain into all the hundreds of engine less freelanders, so far is not quite finished yet but will post in the forum once is done.

here is info on the engine cooling kit, in case you decide to keep the engine and fix the tranny

here is some info from landroverforums.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey I get a bunch of e-mails about the kit, you can get it doing a search on e-bay

"Freelander Cooling Kit" or "Land Rover Freelander Cooling Kit "
the freelander with the first prototype is running awesome and just passed 140k miles!
also other benefits is the oil stays crystal clear between oil changes and it does not lose it's viscosity due to the high running temps.

here is the info from ebay

---------------------------------
If you have a Land Rover Freelander you know about the common engine failure, usually between 50k - 90k miles, these vehicles are nice but will not forgive you when the engine overheats, it will self destroy. the engine is was designed with different metal/steel alloys that when they overheat the expand at a very different rate and engine fails.

The entire system works great but borderline hot, so any small problems with the cooling system will be lethal, the common reason is a cracked coolant reservoir, or hose rupture, again the reservoir will crack or the hoses will fail because the engine just runs a little hotter that it should, the coolant components will crack or blow due to the excessive pressure and sustained high temperature, if you look at the temp needle, it likes to be close to the middle.

So if you have a Freelander or will buy one, do yourself a favor and buy a "Freelander Engine Cooling Kit" which is a set of relays, wires and connectors that installs in minutes and reduces the operating temperature by turning the fan (s) at a different temperatures than the programmed by factory without interfering with the a/c and other components.

This is the cheapest insurance, it will help you avoid a 5,000.00 bill replacing a freelander engine.

This is a device that prevents damage, it will not fix the damage if it already ocurred, (however it will help in cases where the damage is mild)

As all electrical components, there are no refunds, only replacement if defective. all kits are tested before shipping to insure reliability

Important: even if device fails, the factory system still works as originally described

KIT INCLUDES: DEVICE AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

jbcrawford

Reaction score
Cant find it

Hello godspeed, I've been looking for this kit and it no longer seems to be around on ebay... do you know anywhere else it is being sold?

A friend of mine that developed the freelander cooling kit that makes the engine more reliable is working on a swap kit that will allow the installation of a honda civic drivetrain into all the hundreds of engine less freelanders, so far is not quite finished yet but will post in the forum once is done.

here is info on the engine cooling kit, in case you decide to keep the engine and fix the tranny

here is some info from landroverforums.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey I get a bunch of e-mails about the kit, you can get it doing a search on e-bay

"Freelander Cooling Kit" or "Land Rover Freelander Cooling Kit "
the freelander with the first prototype is running awesome and just passed 140k miles!
also other benefits is the oil stays crystal clear between oil changes and it does not lose it's viscosity due to the high running temps.

here is the info from ebay

---------------------------------
If you have a Land Rover Freelander you know about the common engine failure, usually between 50k - 90k miles, these vehicles are nice but will not forgive you when the engine overheats, it will self destroy. the engine is was designed with different metal/steel alloys that when they overheat the expand at a very different rate and engine fails.

The entire system works great but borderline hot, so any small problems with the cooling system will be lethal, the common reason is a cracked coolant reservoir, or hose rupture, again the reservoir will crack or the hoses will fail because the engine just runs a little hotter that it should, the coolant components will crack or blow due to the excessive pressure and sustained high temperature, if you look at the temp needle, it likes to be close to the middle.

So if you have a Freelander or will buy one, do yourself a favor and buy a "Freelander Engine Cooling Kit" which is a set of relays, wires and connectors that installs in minutes and reduces the operating temperature by turning the fan (s) at a different temperatures than the programmed by factory without interfering with the a/c and other components.

This is the cheapest insurance, it will help you avoid a 5,000.00 bill replacing a freelander engine.

This is a device that prevents damage, it will not fix the damage if it already ocurred, (however it will help in cases where the damage is mild)

As all electrical components, there are no refunds, only replacement if defective. all kits are tested before shipping to insure reliability

Important: even if device fails, the factory system still works as originally described

KIT INCLUDES: DEVICE AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA