Transfer Case & Differential Fluid Specification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what fluid to use in the transfer case? I'll soon be due for the 75,000 mile change and don't want to go to the dealer. The owners manual lists a Shell TF0753. The only thing I found that remotely resembled that name was on a Shell Australia website that listed a Shell TF automatic transmission fluid.

Likewise, for the front and rear differentials the owners manual says to use SAF XO in the front and SAF XJ in the rear. The Australian website for Castrol says that SAF XO = 75w90 GL5 gear oil and SAF XJ = 75w140 GL5, both synthetic. Is it OK to use any synthetic gear oil that meets that spec or is something else going on here? I'm in the US.

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what fluid to use in the transfer case? I'll soon be due for the 75,000 mile change and don't want to go to the dealer. The owners manual lists a Shell TF0753. The only thing I found that remotely resembled that name was on a Shell Australia website that listed a Shell TF automatic transmission fluid.

Likewise, for the front and rear differentials the owners manual says to use SAF XO in the front and SAF XJ in the rear. The Australian website for Castrol says that SAF XO = 75w90 GL5 gear oil and SAF XJ = 75w140 GL5, both synthetic. Is it OK to use any synthetic gear oil that meets that spec or is something else going on here? I'm in the US.

X2? I too would like to know. I'm a DIYer and would like to know what I need to pickup at the auto store. I read that manual and ... huh... I thought I knew my oils. Come on you Rover Techs, what gear oils do we use?:biggrin:
BJ

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happened to be in Miami so I stopped at the dealer to buy the oil. Get ready for this:

Transfer Case LRN0754 $32.37 per quart, you need 2
Rear Locker dif LRN500070 $32.20 per quart, need 2
Front dif LRN7591 $17.40, one needed.

The parts guy apologized for the price and said "just be thankful you don't own a 2010, it's $27.00 a quart for the motor oil. He was impressed that I was going to do the job myself and was kind enough (guilt maybe) to print out all of the instructions, quantities and torque settings. I thanked him for having convenient Saturday hours and I asked how many DIY customers he had. He said that he had 5 or 6. Oh, 5 or 6 today, a rainy Saturday? No, 5 or 6 in total!

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think you could post those instructions with the torque settings? I would be extremely grateful. Thanks

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yikes. I just changes mine for the first/last time today ;-)

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kwlr3 if you could post the instructions that would be great.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil change is not too hard. 1 hour and one skinned knuckle. Nice and easy to put it in offroad suspension mode and not have to deal with lifting the truck. Some of the skid plates bolts were stuck. It definitely takes a 1/2" drive socket, breaker bar, or impact wrench to get some of the skid plate bolts out. A floor jack helps lift the skid plates up in place while unbolting or bolting them to the car.

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happened to be in Miami so I stopped at the dealer to buy the oil. Get ready for this:

Transfer Case LRN0754 $32.37 per quart, you need 2
Rear Locker dif LRN500070 $32.20 per quart, need 2
Front dif LRN7591 $17.40, one needed.

The parts guy was kind enough (guilt maybe) to print out all of the instructions, quantities and torque settings. ...

Yeah, could you share those instructions, or at least the torque settings. The rest is pretty straightforward I think.

Thanks...

BJ

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea for me to personally post the instructions for several reasons:

1. They are likely copyrighted material of LRNA
2. I have them in printed form not a computer file so it would take a long time to copy word for word.
3. There are some pictures and warnings that are pretty important.
4. If I miss-lead you, I'll feel like crap.

This is an easy DIY service but there are a couple of warnings that are best seen from the original source.

If you've followed this thread thus far and you're committed to spending the $175.00 for the oil. Spend another $12.00 for a one day look at the Land Rover Global Tech website. There is wealth of other valuable information there. You can print out the instructions (Workshop Manual: Front Diff 54.15.02; Rear Diff 51.25.02; Transfer Case 41.20.04) on this and any other job you might be contemplating. Also, you can read all of the Technical Bulletins that your Dealer might not have read. I have dip mirrors that don't return to the same position. I complained at a service and was told there was nothing that could be done. Now I see there was a Tech Bulletin about that issue and I'm going to try and get a new memory module.

You could spend an entire evening on your computer looking at the Land Rover Global Tech website. It's Land Rover **** without the computer virus!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA