discovery 97 and OBDII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

charvey

Has anyone hooked up an OBDII scanner or linked a laptop via a connector to a Discovery 1997? I have spent quite a bit of time looking at OBDII information and believe it could tell me which one of my wheel speed sensors are failing (ABS comes on after the vehicle has been inactive for a while, mostly at slow speeds.)

The problem is that none of the protocols I see listed for the connector match my pin setup - my Discovery seems to have pins in the ODB2 connector at positions 1,2,4,9,10,12, and 13. This matches none of the protocols that are described below:

PWM The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16
VPW The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10.
ISO The connector must have pins 4, 5, 7, and 16. Pin 15 may or may not be present.
CAN The connector must have pins 4, 5, 6, 14, and 16.

The ODBII laws say that all vehicles sold in the US after 1996 have to be ODB2 compliant - is the Discovery simply a different protocol, is it not compliant, or am I missing something?

The only other thing I can think of is that I may not have been looking at the correct connector - but the connector I found was under the right hand side of the steering wheel, out in the open, was 16 pin, and looked right...

Any help is greatly appreciated - I'm a new owner, love my Discovery, and just fixed the cruise control tonight based on info I found in this forum :)

Thanks much,
Charles Harvey

R

RoverDisco98

Not sure there is a difference between 97 and 98 but I took my 98n to AutoZone and thet simply plugged in the reader and gave me the codes.

C

charvey

I'll give that a try - I was hoping to use Scan Tool because it lets you communicate to your vehicle in the ODBII language (give commands and make adjustments).

I should be able to find out what interface Auto Zone is using.

Thanks much,
Charles

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe my OBDII reader (laptop operated) shows any data at all on the ABS system.

chicken little

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Discovery I has started missing, more and more over the last 5000 miles... can't really figure it out. Replaced the plugs & wire set... very little improvement, itf any. Can anyone
let me know some common reasons for missing, backfiring? Most obvious during acceleration, and under load (hill climbing), however pretty consistent at all speeds.

I just don't want to start randomly replacing parts. Thanks! :confused:

vegas99d1

Reaction score
Chicken - what kind of gas are you running? Also, when is the last time you changed your fuel filter?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Might help if we know what your are driving with this issue and mileage as well as any other maintenance beyond plugs and wires.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obd2

discovery 97 and OBDII

Has anyone hooked up an OBDII scanner or linked a laptop via a connector to a Discovery 1997? I have spent quite a bit of time looking at OBDII information and believe it could tell me which one of my wheel speed sensors are failing (ABS comes on after the vehicle has been inactive for a while, mostly at slow speeds.)

The problem is that none of the protocols I see listed for the connector match my pin setup - my Discovery seems to have pins in the ODB2 connector at positions 1,2,4,9,10,12, and 13. This matches none of the protocols that are described below:

PWM The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16
VPW The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10.
ISO The connector must have pins 4, 5, 7, and 16. Pin 15 may or may not be present.
CAN The connector must have pins 4, 5, 6, 14, and 16.

The ODBII laws say that all vehicles sold in the US after 1996 have to be ODB2 compliant - is the Discovery simply a different protocol, is it not compliant, or am I missing something?

The only other thing I can think of is that I may not have been looking at the correct connector - but the connector I found was under the right hand side of the steering wheel, out in the open, was 16 pin, and looked right...

Any help is greatly appreciated - I'm a new owner, love my Discovery, and just fixed the cruise control tonight based on info I found in this forum :)

Thanks much,
Charles Harvey

Hello, To start off with your right, OBD2 was voted in by congress, so that all vehicles had a standard diagnostic tool, What they didn’t tell you is that it only covers emission systems only. Now other companies, US, Japanese etc may allow and have more systems accessible by OBD2 diagnostics, i.e. antilock airbag etc, most European auto manufacturers do not.

What this means to you as a European / British auto owner is that the software version of the Rover is completely different than the US version. For example: older OBDII protocols commonly used in vehicles: VPW (General Motors), PWM (Ford), and ISO9141 (Chrysler, Asian, European, and many others), and ISO 14230 protocol (also called Keyword 2000 or KWP 2000). CAN protocol language is for newer vehicle protocols only. This link below may help you even further, But due to marketing, ( Money ) different software’s are made to drive up the repair and diagnostic costs. Especially on more exotic types of vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Use the Rave Manual in Joey’s Footer notes, or click here:

http://www.landroverresource.com/

Once you get the OBD2 code, you’ll find there is a difference usually between US OBD2 codes and European OBD2 code meanings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_area_network

From Atlantic British I purchased the Hawkeye diagnostic tool from them and I was amazed. They did their homework on this very user friendly, owner friendly diagnostic tool. It works on your vin number only, and cost an additional $250 per vehicle vin, or $1,500.00 if I remember correctly. It cost me around $650.00 delivered, and it does everything but program the processors. I own many Rover diagnostic tools, however this one proved to be most useful in Rover home mechanics market. Click link below:

http://www.roverparts.com/Nxt/search.asp?keywords=hawkeye

Best wishes……………………………..Chongo
:bandit:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA