"Transmission Fault" Explained

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z

zdas04

I happened by a LR dealer in another state yesterday and asked the service manager to look at a minor problem ("fuel tank cap loose or missing" message). While they had the truck I asked him about the "Transmission Fault, Traction Reduced" message that I get pretty regularly after not driving my truck for a week or so.

His response was that the LR3 "wakes up" several times a day to look around. Each time it does this it uses some battery power. After some period of time (days or weeks depending on a bunch of factors) the voltage gets too low for the initial boot handshake between the various compters to go properly and you get the first fault in the list ("Transmission Fault, ..."). It has nothing to do with the transmisison.

I had noticed that I get the message when the truck has sat for a while. Then every day after that for a few days I get the message the first time I start it in a day. For the first few days it comes up right after the boot finishes, later it comes up after cranking the engine, finally it goes away. I was thinking it was some sort of transmisison fluid thing, but it is a battery voltage thing--the more you drive it the higher the voltage and the less frequent the fault happens.

He recommended leaving it on a trickle charger when you're not driving it for several days. The logistics seem tough, but I'm thinking maybe I can have a Cannon Plug installed in the grill so I can plug a trickle charger in without having to leave the hood up.

David
2005 LR3, New Mexico

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that error, without any actual problem, a few times... it disappeared after a software update 4 months ago. I think the update tuned how sensitive the system was. I haven't had one in any scneario since.

M

mvg

The waking up of the car is causing my battery to fully discharge after more than two days of unuse.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've left the LR3 for 3 weeks without grief... so, you probably have a failing battery or something going horribly wrong. D'oh!

M

mvg

Grommet,

I sure can use your three-week battery longevity experience with the dealer specifically for the LR3. The new service manager explained to me that it is normal for the LR3 battery to lose its charge in about a week of parking. I disagreed saying my other cars have lasted more than three weeks.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mvg, why don't you suggest they just replace the vehicle instead? That's ridiculous.

M

mvg

Roverman,

I have about 15 more shop-days to go (out of 30) on any problem with the vehicle and two more returns to the shop on the same battery issue before I invoke the NY Lemon Car Law. Meanwhile, the case builds quietly while they continue to spend on labor and auto rental. I have offered them suggestions, ideas, hypotheses, and recommendations. I am waiting for them to make the first move on a replacement before the case qualifies. When I hinted once on a replacement, they became defensive.

The vehicle parks in the garage and still relatively new--only 5,000 miles.

L

lr305

My LR3 has about 7500 miles, so far it has not a single problem (knock on wood). It is a spare truck for winters. I left it in Garage for more than 2 months, and when I start it, not a single problem appeared. It is just the fact.

P

PCH

I had this similar problem some time ago and my repeated errors were "range change unavailable" when starting the D3 the following morning.

It was traced to a loose +ve battery terminal after 2 days of searching and consulting LR.

As it was stated the voltage is very critical at start up and any low voltage will cause errors.

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA