Cracked Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 HSE purchased new in November of 2005. I have used a windshield sun shade from day one but, it happened anyways. I have about six cracks, each about one inch long radiating outward from the the de-mister vents on each end of the dash. The first one appeared about a month ago and I seem to get a new one each week.

I stopped the propagation by filling in with super glue but it looks like crap. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there any repair. I'm out of warranty by 12,000 miles so I guess I'm out of luck.

I think the D1's had major problems with dash cracks and were repaired under warranty. Is there sun in England? Mud, rocks, and river crossings won't hurt a Land Rover but, leave it out in the sun and the dash cracks, the wipers blades melt to the glass, and all the exterior plastic evaporates. I've owned Jeep wranglers that went years with no top. The seats fell apart but the dash never cracked.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry KW, I've not had that problem, however, I have seen dashs for sale on ebay. Just do a search for LR3 and look through all the auctions. You might get lucky.

I feel your pain, it's tough to spend so much money on a vehicle that looks like crap after 5 years regardless how much "protectant" one uses on the plastic.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vehicle is at the dealer right now getting the dash replaced. The "fill in" service advisor told me that they have already replaced five dashes on '05 LR3's and have "many more" on order. The problem has only been seen on LR3's in South Florida and Texas and only on 05's. The cracks start at the side vents and radiate forward and inward. Soon after the first hairline crack appears, they spread like a plague. Mine got so bad that the pieces between the cracks have begun to fall off. Inspect your dash thoroughly, at first the cracks are hard to see. My '05 was purchased in November or 2005 and the first crack appeared in February of 2009.

GMT

Reaction score
Just had dash replaced under warranty for splitting around the passenger side airbag.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMT, what year LR3? Purchased new or used? Where do you live, in intense sun? After having mine replaced, I want to know if I should anticipate needing to do it again.

I see the the LR4 has a leather covered dash. Is a leather dash cheaper for LR than replacing cracked plastic under warranty?

GMT

Reaction score
GMT, what year LR3? Purchased new or used? Where do you live, in intense sun? After having mine replaced, I want to know if I should anticipate needing to do it again.

I see the the LR4 has a leather covered dash. Is a leather dash cheaper for LR than replacing cracked plastic under warranty?

Hi KW,

It's an '06 purchased used. I'm in south Florida, so the sun/heat is a factor for sure.

Not sure about your other question.

Cheers!

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know if the leather LR4 dash fit the LR3?

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what -- I think it just might fit an LR3. I sat in an LR4 at our dealer in Nashville last week after reading this thread and specifically was checking it out. Seems like the instrument binnacle is slightly differently shaped BUT the rest looks the same. Anyone who works at a rover dealer had the top dash off an lr4 yet?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way to beat the sun on that is a good protectant and a custom sun cover. I love mine and it fits like a champ. Visors flipped down hold it in place and it really keeps the interior cool.

Covercraft part #UV10928 $45
Get the $8 bag too
Linky

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those sun shades seem like a pain in the :bootyshak
Fortunately, those of us in Michigan don't have any, what do you folks call it, "sunshine"? So our dashes last forever!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA