Increase mileage on LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teillon

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and not a big enthusiast, just trying to get some advice on increasing mileage. I'm averaging 16MPG right now. My father has a friend that wrote me a note which I will paste below. I don't know if he is talking about LR3s or not because I can't find any info on these upgrades on the web or on this forum:

----------------------------

Here’s the info for your car:

#1 Replace the Cold Air Intake – K&N Air System (@ $300) – Apparently an easy fix that you can do yourself

#2 Replace the exhaust system with a Barla or Dynaflow (cheaper) system (@ $300 to $500). This would have to be done by a shop. Range Rover puts in a super heavy system that puts a lot of back pressure on your engine.

#3 Put in a Computer Chip to calibrate the system. (@$50 to $500 at any auto parts store). This is the last thing to do as the other two will affect what the chip reads. This you can put in yourself.

My friend said he has done this with 4 Land Rovers and has increased mileage from 16 to 24 mpg.

----------------------------

Thanks for any advice!

LT

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, don't expect magic MPG miracles for LR3. It's basically the heaviest vehicle in it's class. And he's definitely not talking about LR3: #3 is actually funny.

IMHO, if there was a "cheap upgrade" that would noticeably improve MPG for your gasoline engine, Land Rover's engineers would already have done it at the factory. There is no incentive for Land Rover to sell a vehicle with a lower EPA MPG rating.

Last edited:

DonA

Reaction score
Not to mention if you have a problem you would most likely be denied warranty coverage if you were to do any of the above modifications.

The LR3 already has a cold air intake that is what the grill in the passenger side fender is for.

16 mpg is not to bad really I avg 13.2

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as already stated, dont waste your money. you got some bad info. anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong. I managed a parts store for a long time, I know a lot of these aftermarket products.

#1 Replace the Cold Air Intake – K&N Air System (@ $300) – Apparently an easy fix that you can do yourself
You can only replace the filter, no such cold air for these beasts. As said before, already built in. A filter will cost you about $65 but will not gain you any performance. It is a better overall filter, but no performance gained.

#2 Replace the exhaust system with a Barla or Dynaflow (cheaper) system (@ $300 to $500). This would have to be done by a shop. Range Rover puts in a super heavy system that puts a lot of back pressure on your engine.
Borla does not currently have a system available, nothing that bolts up at least. Dynaflow is a type a muffler that Banks Diesel makes. They do have exhaust's, but nothing for the LR3. Magnaflow and Dynomax are two big companies, but neither recognize the LR3. Look to a dealer overseas, that's about the only place to get anything worthwhile to bolt on.

#3 Put in a Computer Chip to calibrate the system. (@$50 to $500 at any auto parts store). This is the last thing to do as the other two will affect what the chip reads. This you can put in yourself.
You might as well sign the life of your LR3 away. There is no such piggyback style chip for this motor. You can get the one on ebay for $25, but from my experience the hyperdrive is broken and you wont be able to reach lightspeed. Overseas diesels only for computer upgrades.

My recommendations for fuel. Check tire pressure regularaly. Use good gasoline, this can be argued forever but I noticed good gains with large refinery fuels. Stay away from gas stations that have no branding and constantly buy from the cheapest bidder. Stick to the refineries like Sunoco, Lukoil, or BP. Use Cruise control when you can. Dont hammer down on the pedal, youll save a good amount of fuel by driving a little more conservatively during city driving. :wink:

I only get about 13-14 mpg, so 16 is not so shabby.

teillon

Reaction score
Thanks guys--I don't know what this guy was talking about.

As for gas, I have found that I have to use premium rather than basic to get any performance, but I don't know if I'm also getting better mileage out of it...any opinions?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 (Premium) is recommended (see label and manual) as the engine is designed for a higher compression ratio. Depending on the environment (for example, high altitude) you may be able to get away with lower. I, for example, generally get worse MPG with incorrect octane. (Mostly sea level.)

Use search on this very forum and you can find many previous discussions.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say the only real way to get better mileage is to go with skinnier tires (think mountain bike vs. road bike). But then you suffer with braking, cornering etc....
Really, I think the fuel mileage is amazing with the LR3 given it's weight and brick like shape. I had Jeep CJ's with 1/2 the weight and 1/2 the engine that didn't do any better.
I tried things like the KN filter and Slick 50 back in the day with an old Bronco...didn't do a thing to improve mpg.
I have slightly wider (275) tires and average 14 around town and 19.5 hwy.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take out all the seats except for the driver's. Remove the heavy plastic interior door panels and sound insulation. Replace all windows except the windshield with Lexan. Go on a diet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA