Overheating of coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I now have an additional problem with my Disco.
Yesterday out of no apparent clear reason the engine temp overheated.
I went to have lunch with my Dad, and remained in the restaurant for almost two hours.
When we were driving back home, the temperature warning light came on.
So I stopped, and opened the boot to find that the antifreeze was ejected due to the overheating of the engine.
The strange thing is that the car when I started it was totally cool, I drove less than a mile with my Air-conditioning on and then the problem arose.
Any one have an idea of what could be going on?
I have a while guess to think that the thermostat has a problem and that's why the car overheated.
Any other sugestion?

Hope any one can Help
Regards
JR

C

Cozmo

Check the A/C fan. I'm on my fourth one. The fan located in front of the radiator.

Roverhound

Reaction score
In order for it to overheat that fast I have to agree with you and say it's the thermostat.

D

discomike

It has to be your t/stat and I woulg highly suggest you quit temping the truck to **** out your engine in little pieces. They won't take driving with the AC on after overheating and dumping coolant.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rodding core, flushing and filling with 50/50 (or less, like 70/30, if you ok with flushing it later in autumn with thicker mix) would be helpfull too. And checking thermostat.

D

discomike

Sergei,
I agree with you regarding rodding out the radiator, but not for this, only because it start happening out of the clear blue.
Rodding is more for an overheat problem that gradually builds up with time.
I am still leaning towards a t/stat.
Jesus, just remember, if you do the t/stat replacement, bled the air out of the engine after wards or it will continue to overheat.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, yep. I am kind of going overboard, you right. Its unlikely that some chunk of goo decided to stick in there all the sudden.

Could also be water pump dropping dead..

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
I think I agree more with the thermostate theory. I will have to take it to the dealer in Albuquerque for that I wont take any chances this time. Besides jeje I still havent found any Land Rover repair shop in El Paso.
I will try not to drive it around as much with the AC on, lets just hope the temp in the El Paso Area keeps under the 100's.
I will keep you posted if the dealer did changed that and if they in fact fixed the vivration I explained on one of my previus posts.

Regards
JR

D

discomike

If it is in fact the t/stat, you don't want to drive it very far, just order the part and change it out, don't risk your engine.
Also make sure you use the correct coolant and bleed all the air out of the engine.
mike J.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA