Dash clock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

Kentuckydiesel

Should the dash clock light up at night? Mine does not.

-Phillip

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Light bulb is bad....

You have to remove it... Not the easiest thing to do... I will try to find the write up by Monday, then you can remove the bulb and pick on up at Napa or local auto parts place cheap..

LR will tell you to replace the entire clock.

mcaslan

Reaction score
Same need

Your research for a document on how to remove and refit the light would be helpful to me as well. Ive been chasing lighting issues for a few months and the clock has got me stumped. I dread going intot he dash without a game plan 1st.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The part number for the bulb and the holder is STC1983.

Remove the ashtray and the cruise control switch pack.
Remove the 2 screws on each side which will release the cup holder assembly.
Now you'll be able to reach the clock from the back and push it out.
Change bulb and put everything back the way it was.

You can also use some putty knife to release the locking pins that hold the clock. This is a much faster way.

Or you can go this route..... *********

When my '97 Disco's clock lamp burned out, I was told by the dealer that I had to replace the whole assembly (bulb + bulb holder), and it was somewhere between $7-$10.

I am, lets say frugle, so I set out to find another solution, and here's what I came up with. If you have 15 minutes to ****, it'll save you anywhere from $12-$15 (if you include the next time the clock lamp burns out):

1) Go to the local auto parts store and buy these bulbs, which are a direct replacement for the OEM bulb: Sylvania European Lamps part no. 2721 (W2, 1W). They were about $2 and you get two.

2) Remove the bulb holder assembly from the clock. If you look at the bulb holder assembly, you'll notice that the bulb leads are soldered to the holder itself.

3) Remove the bulb from the holder, either by un-soldering it, or by using a pair of pliers to pull the bulb out of the holder. If you do this, the part of the leads that are soldered will remain behind.

4) Remove the two side clips from the plastic holder. Do this by pushing the indented part (which holds the clip into place) of the clip in with a small screwdriver and at the same time pulling up on the clip.

5) Now either a) bend the leads on the new bulb around the metal clips from the holder and solder them on, or b) just wrap them around the metal clip.

6) Push the indented part of the clip back out so that when you slip it back into the plastic holder, they will snap into place. Snap the two clips back into place.

7) Install new bulb holder into clock, and your clock will come back to life.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As usual, Joey is a veritable walking and talking encyclopedia of Disco information. I found that slipping two pieces of 2 1/2" wide plastic (thinner than a credit card) into the top and bottom will release all 4 catches allowing easy removal of the clock. As Joey pointed out, two thin spatulas will work also.
As for the bulbs, I found a source for the complete assembly at $2 each, green or orange (amber). If anyone is interested, I'll try to dig up the URL. :beer:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA