Error Codes P0171, P0174, P0734

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfayette

Reaction score
I'm looking for the most likely solution to P0171 and P0174 error codes. Most likely the air pump but how can I prove it?
The error reads lean on bank one, and lean on bank two. I'm guessing the pump has gone bad but not sure how I can know for sure.

Also I've been getting random P0734 codes, which show wrong gear ratio in gear 4. I clear it and it comes back days or weeks later. I suspect something with the rear axle but not sure where to start looking.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those codes are an indicator of a failed MAF. How often do you change your air filter, are you using a paper of a K&N type air filter? If K&N, get rid of it.

dfayette

Reaction score
I don't use K&N on the Range Rover but change the filter every 5K miles since we live in a dusty environment.
Can a dirty filter cause these codes or do I need to replace the MAF?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it can.
If you have any questions, send me your tele number and I'll call you.

dfayette

Reaction score
Error Codes P0171, P0174 and P0734

My phone number is 425-301-6487

Is there a test for the MAF? I checked the filter and it's not very dirty. I'll replace it anyway. The MAF "looks" good but it would be nice to be able to test it prior to replacement.

Gold Yeller

Reaction score
Annoying MAF faults

Hi dfayette & Disco Mike: I was wondering how you were able to get your problems resolved. I'm having the same issue, somewhat. I own a '99 RR 4.6HSE, all stock except for the replacement K&N air filter. At first, I was getting error codes P0733 and P0734, erased the code. Then, I cleaned the MAF with the MAF spray cleaner. Drove and got 20 miles out before the light came on again, this time stating P0171 and P0174. I'm gonna clean the MAF sensor again, erase the code again. If it happens again, I'm gonna slap on a regular replacement air filter.

dfayette

Reaction score
I replaced the MAF sensor.
Cleaning did not work. K&N should be just fine since it does not interfere with the MAF.

Gold Yeller

Reaction score
Thanks, it looks like I'll go that route myself as I replaced with a WIX paper filter and still did not resolve issue.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the MAF, since cleaning won't help that particular one, use only factory air filters and throw that K&N as far away as possible.

RoverProblem

Reaction score
2001 range rover codes

Disco mike

I have a 2001 range rover I read your reply for this thread and bought a mas air flow sensor from napa its not a Bosch brand is that okay? With this sensor I get code p1775 p1772 p0447 please help any one I spent way to much already trying to fix this car

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA