Oil Pan removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dmoore1200

1996 Disco....

Anything I need to knwo BEFORE i attempt to drop the pan to fix the pickup tube and clean out the pan?

I read somewhere the swaybar has to be removed?

Is it posible to drop the pan on this just using ramps rather than a lift or jackstand

Any tips/tricks that would be usefull when cleaning out and inpecting the Pickup tube?

And where is teh tube located after i get in?

Thanks... Im used to working on porsches, the Rover is new to me...

Dave

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
main thing to be aware off - all the sludge will try to get into your face. Wear goggles and head wrap or something. Use gloves.

Other than that - its dead simple 13mm 12pt extension wrench will get it all out..

tube will be sticking right into your face once you drop pan. You cant miss it ;)
Prepare with LOTS of cleaning solutions and paper towels..

And yep - getting tie rod off, and pushing sway bar down and away (dont really have to take it off) - will ease yer pain

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be done on ramps. Yep, you'll have to remove the stabilizer and sway bar. Just unbolt the sway bar bolts at the end of the bars and it should just swing down. Of course, drain the oil first. This would be a good time to run a can of engine flush prior to draining the oil and dropping the pan. Once the oil is out simply unbolt the pan and let it drop. Once the pan is off you will see the pickup tube pointing down at you. At the end of the tube is a screen that will need to be cleaned out. I bought a new pickup/gasket along with a new pan gasket. When you put the pickup back on, it would be a good idea to use a lock washer and a dap of loctite to the bolts to prevent them from backing out. Make sure everything is spotless make sure you can eat out of the pan. Install new gasket on pan and put pan back on. Its a real simple job. Here is a pic of what it will look like with the pan and pick up off. The pick up bolts to the passenger side of the block (right side in pic).

Attachments

• 0409090004.JPG
    0409090004.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 286

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep.. thats the nasty underneath.. altough mine did look much cleaner after all the crap i poured in it.. :) Nice to know it actually making difference

J

JackUnion

When you go to replace the pan, find yourself a tube of "the right stuff" to seal the pan instead of a gasket. It's like a foam style instant gasket that expands as it comes out of the tube. I can't remember the name of the company that makes it but Carquest or one of those guy's will have it. We all use it now, not even the LR dealers use the old gaskets anymore, at least not the dealers up here anyway!

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't "Great Stuff" for insulating or filling holes around pipes or openings in your house? Won't the foam be eaten up by engine fluids? If not, sounds like it's a good product to use although I used a gasket and auto gasket sealer when I put my pan back after cleaning the strainer.

Thanks

T

tirewall

FYI, I changed my oil pan gasket this Summer. Thought I had to remove the sway bar but after some thought, jacked up the front end and presto, plenty of clearance to get the pan out. Had to be the dirtiest job yet (I was covered in crap) but no runs, no drips, and surprisingly no errors.

fred stake

Reaction score
It can be done on ramps. Yep, you'll have to remove the stabilizer and sway bar. Just unbolt the sway bar bolts at the end of the bars and it should just swing down. Of course, drain the oil first. This would be a good time to run a can of engine flush prior to draining the oil and dropping the pan. Once the oil is out simply unbolt the pan and let it drop. Once the pan is off you will see the pickup tube pointing down at you. At the end of the tube is a screen that will need to be cleaned out. I bought a new pickup/gasket along with a new pan gasket. When you put the pickup back on, it would be a good idea to use a lock washer and a dap of loctite to the bolts to prevent them from backing out. Make sure everything is spotless make sure you can eat out of the pan. Install new gasket on pan and put pan back on. Its a real simple job. Here is a pic of what it will look like with the pan and pick up off. The pick up bolts to the passenger side of the block (right side in pic).

fred stake

Reaction score
Did everything on the oil pan used a cork gasket and some gasket sealer and was still leaking.got to redo maybe just try the Right Stuff.Maybe over did it.But was wondering if there is a torque spec on the pan bolts.Thanks

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA