2008 LR3 HDC,special programs faults-rear differential motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calidreaming

Reaction score
2008 LR3 51k miles.

over the past two years I have had a few times where ther xmas display popped up on the dash ,but a simple restart on the car would erase it. never said anything to Land Rover about it. Replaced the battery 1 month ago. Last week the lights stay on all the time. car drives fine -but you can hear the rear diff motor running a few times (I presume not catching)on start and shut off of car.

I checked the fuses- seems ok- I replaced the blue brake thingy under the sterring wheel dash too- nothing changed.

Took it to a independent rover repair shop here in san diego and he says it needs a new rear diff motor(and its expensive- a few k)

What would you recommend I do. buy a extended warranty maybe?
Car drives fine but is in the lower position- i dont go off roading so dont really care about it ,but the lights are annoying.

thanks

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it would be pretty dishonest to buy a warranty when something is broken.

You can get the diff motor for a reasonable price from Justin & Lucky8. He also has reman differentials, and rebuild kits. A few K would be a whole diff at LR.

There is a shop in the LA area that has rebuilt a couple. Check that wiring to ensure the cable is connected well, and no wires are broken. You might also try to run it through the calibration routine and see if it snaps back to working order.

I reputable shop should be able to install the motor in less than and hour + cost of the motor.

Last edited:

calidreaming

Reaction score
wow - here is what happenned

went to a local land rover and they told me 3k plus install to fix the rear diff water.

I told them where to stick it.

Next day- I start the car- all the faults are gone and everything is working!
it has worked fine for a week with no issues.

Based on al this what do you think the problem was/is?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cali, which independant shop did you take it to here in San Diego?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly does the rear diff motor sound like? Are you sure you aren't hearing your EAS Compressor? That would make more sense...plus the rear diff motor would have nothing to do with being stuck at the lower suspension setting.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
black round thing at the top

A few select 3's have an electronic sort of locking extra special rear differential package. The stepper motor that everyone is referring to is the sort of round black motor like bit at the top where the computer cables feed into. Yes, computer cables - a stepper motor is not what you see on your average electric locker. Land Rover is as usual, away head of the curve.

Attachments

• LR3 Rear Locker cut showing Stepper Motor and disc plates big 10.jpg
    LR3 Rear Locker cut showing Stepper Motor and disc plates big 10.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 44
  • LR3 Locking Mechanical Rear Differential under end view.jpg
    LR3 Locking Mechanical Rear Differential under end view.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 39

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those (lockers)...and I NEVER "hear" it.

Trynian

Reaction score
I have one of those (lockers)...and I NEVER "hear" it.

It goes through a power on self test right when the power is turned on. Also one when you turn the engin off.

Probably wouldn't hear it unless you are listening for it and not starting the car right away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA