Rotors: Slotted, Drilled, Slotted-Drilled, Regular?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of changing rotors and brake pads on my LR3. Found some great rotor and pads kit deals on eBay for all wheels.

Now the question is what kind should I get? I do like the looks of slotted and drilled rotors for sure, but am not sure if that's the right choice? I am looking for experiences with those by someone here? Looks like there are multiple schools of thought on that and experiences vary, naturally.

The reason I wanted drilled ones is that it keeps the rotors cooler than normal especially under stress. Slots work well for removing debris and stuck dust or crap between rotors and pads.

My LR3 goes off-roading a lot and for those reasons I am inclined towards slotted-drilled rotors. The only negative I heard about drilled ones is that of their strength and warping? True?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be very careful when buying off of E-bay, in the case of their slotted and drilled rotors, most come from China, need I say more.
Slotted and drilled, good ones like DBA's are far better, mine are over 100,000 miles old running Akebono ceramic pads and give extra stopping power so the $100 a piece for them if worth every penny when comparing to OEM style rotors and pads that will wear out in 30,000 or 40,000 miles.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my other car hangout (Audi forums) I heard that drilled rotors are more prone to cracking under stress than cast holes, so the folks there tend to go with slotted. DBA also get good reviews on the Audi circle too...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solid vented and ceramic pads.

Yes, the 3 is a race truck, but a 3 ton one.

The fancy stuff is for Jags and the like. I like the look of dimpled and you do not get the cracks, but in the end, the 3 is near 6,000 lbs and no feline.

Below is a link to an open Excel file re brakes etc. Type in your selections; the format makes evaluation easier.

http://www.**************/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3801&pos=29

Replace the **** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the two spaces.

And try to avoid the mistake I made and bought rotors that in a month looked like rusty railroad tracks - but they were cheaper than LR OEM.

With the money I saved, I purchased some heat resistant silver paint and steel wool. Now the rotor hats look almost as good as LR OEM. My labour is cheap.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been happy with EBC drilled / slotted rotors. I got 20k out of my OEM's and I got 80k out of the first set of EBC. They could have gone a little longer but I wanted to get it all out of the way. I turned the rotors lightly at each brake pad fitting. The pads I've used are the EBC Green Stuff.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good info. I'm using EBC Ultimax rotors too, and I find them to be both aggressive and quiet. The slots seem to help water and grit evacuate the pad surface. I use to get grit between the pad and rotor every now and then, and the slots do seem to help.

I had ECS Sport rotors on a prior GX470, and they were unbelievably loud. Constant "whirring" sound, and noisy on application. This is not the case with the Ultimax rotors, which have less aggressive grooves.

I have EBC greens too, and they are more aggressive than OE Ferodo, but dust a bit less. I think next time I will put Hawk SUV pads on however, as they seemed more progressive.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing info guys. I believe EBC it is and green pads. Now the question is which one? Leaning Ultimax though.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also went for EBC slotted rotors and green stuff pads from AB, about 80.000 miles a go. rotors are still good, but i am on second set of pads , both front and back.Very happy with it , no noise or squeaks at all. i had a initial problem with first set of rear rotors as they worked, but they where replaced by AB no problems with a new set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV