Bleeding the brakes . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

RadRocker

I don't like the "soggy" brakes on my disco 1, and was wondering if it is possible to manually bleed the brakes, or if you need to get them pressure bled. I saw a $6.00 kit at Checkers and thought it might help the brakes on my Discovery.

C

Cozmo

After installing stainless steel brake lines on my DII I manually bled the brakes with no problems. Just keep an eye on fluid level.

D

discomike

Bleeding the barkes on a D1

You should have no problem with bleeding your brakes. You might want to check and make sure you have no fluid leaks first and I would recommemd using a synthetic brake fluid, it will take more heat and moisture before it fouls.
Good luck
Mike J.

G

GregS

I had (have) the same condition on my 2000 D2. Bled the brakes carefully and thoroughly and still have the same condition. Dosen't lose a drop of fluid over time. No leaks I can see. Just living with it.

D

discomike

Greg S,
How many miles are on your truck and have you actuall bled all the fluid out of the system or just a small amount?
Also, D2's because of their weight tend to feel a little soft some times and it can also be a combination of glazzed pads and warm brake fluid.
If you don't use the truck real hard, the manual says to flush the brakes every 30,000 miles, I use mine hard and have to do it everu 15 to 20,000 miles to keep this from happening. If your fluid is browning up it is burning and it will feel soft.
Good luck,
Mike J.

boondocks

Reaction score
I have a problem I just changed my calipers Brales.and line .Bleed out the brakes .And now going down the road with or with out hitting the brakes they lock up and start smokeing .Can anyone please help me.Man im tired of spending money I Have a 1998 Land Rover Dicovery That i just love.And hate to let go of. Please help!

london903

Reaction score
I don't like the "soggy" brakes on my disco 1, and was wondering if it is possible to manually bleed the brakes, or if you need to get them pressure bled. I saw a $6.00 kit at Checkers and thought it might help the brakes on my Discovery.

I would recommend flushing the brake system, old brake fluid can cause soggy brakes. Bleeding manually is not difficult. Take all four tires, with truck on jack stands. Follow the bleed sequence listed in the Discovery 2 Workshop Manual. You will need a 2nd person to pump the brake pedal while you brake the bleeder screws.

Tony

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, just add to Tony's message, you should as he mentioned bleed the entire system using 2 quarts of DOT 4, I use the Vavoline brand. Also if you have over 100,000 miles on the truck, I would highly suggest you replace all the rubber brake hoses because the soften up with heat and age and won't pass all the fluid pressure to the calipers.

london903

Reaction score
Brake hoses

Mike,

Have you ever exchanged the rubber brake hoses with the steel braided hoses? Is it worth the extra cost?

Tony

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72