Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landroverer4

Reaction score
Hello all,
In a coupe of weeks I need to tow u-haul 6x12 trailer with surge brakes. This will be the first time I will be towing something and I was looking at some u-haul videos on how to hitch up, etc. and noticed that chained will need to be attached to the LR4. The hooks look quite big and I can see no place to hook them up with the factory arrangement. Can anyone help?

Thanks

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either side of the tow hitch point has a hook point for those chains.

20130821_194007_484_1_zps38958b75.jpg

DSC_5660_zpsec53ee6a.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hooks look quite big and I can see no place to hook them up with the factory arrangement. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Have you actually looked under your vehicle? There are both the side loop holes in the photo as well as the larger single recovery loop directly above the receiver. I use that because my 7x12 has hooks that are too large for the loops beside the receiver. Just cross the chains under the hitch tongue, up and then into the centered loop above the receiver. The point of the chains is partially to cradle the hitch if the receiver fails or opens so you don't want the chains just dangling near the ground but you do want enough slack for turning without binding.

Even though you're renting a trailer, check the trailer tire pressures and increase your LR pressures in the rear for some added weight, but withing spec of the tire rating. Some cars have a "normal" psi as well as a loaded psi. Err to slightly over inflated than under as under will build up heat in the tires as well as create more sway and less vehicle stability. Make sure there's a spare trailer tire and a way for you to install it roadside.

---
upon further thought, if you're going to use a trailer that can haul 7000 lbs....you shouldn't really be doing it maxed out with only "surge brakes". You should be using an actual brake controller. How far are you going and how much weight?

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DSC_5660_zpsec53ee6a.jpg

You may not know but heavier trailers (like dual axle 3500 lbs each vs single 3500) usually come stock with bigger hooks that do not even come close to fitting in the side loops. The much larger single loop/recovery point above though works great.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 ShoreLandr SLB55TBBL, Capacity is 5500 lbs. (GVWR 7040), ~28 feet. It has large hooks that barely fit the lower loops, but they do fit if you hook them from the back, pulling toward the rear and down. I have to push them up between the bumper cover and spare tires and then bring them back towards the trailer.

Works great.

IMG_20131103_114231_zpsd69da129.jpg

Landroverer4

Reaction score
upon further thought, if you're going to use a trailer that can haul 7000 lbs....you shouldn't really be doing it maxed out with only "surge brakes". You should be using an actual brake controller. How far are you going and how much weight?

The trailer+ load should be around 4,000 lbs. don't have an exact number with me right now

Ksyrahsirah

Reaction score
follow up on LR4 hitch

20130821_194007_484_1_zps38958b75.jpg

DSC_5660_zpsec53ee6a.jpg

Hello! I'm 6 months into my LR4 ownership and I need a hitch. We have been doing research and the hitch in this image is the exact one we've seen recommended, which I think is the Land Rover brand and not an after market piece. Did you install this yourself? We saw a you tube video that made it look pretty easy. Also for the opening in the bumper above the hitch is that open for this thread discussion only; I won't have an opening in my bumper when using the hitch? Thanks for your help!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch is genuine OEM, the ball mount pictures is Reese (as it says). The trailer light wires plug in behind the bumper cover (typically), so you'd have that cover removed as pictured when you tow.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm 6 months into my LR4 ownership and I need a hitch. We have been doing research and the hitch in this image is the exact one we've seen recommended, which I think is the Land Rover brand and not an after market piece. Did you install this yourself? We saw a you tube video that made it look pretty easy. Also for the opening in the bumper above the hitch is that open for this thread discussion only; I won't have an opening in my bumper when using the hitch? Thanks for your help!

Drop me a PM with your e-mail, and I'll send you some info on a Class IV that will allow you to keep your spare down under.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop me a PM with your e-mail, and I'll send you some info on a Class IV that will allow you to keep your spare down under.

I PM'd you but did not hear anything back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA