10 days new - water on the floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StillDisco

Reaction score
I posted about picking my new 2016 LR4 a couple weeks ago. This weekend I lifted the rubber 'protection package' floormat to dump out some sand and found a couple gallons of water soaked into the driver's side wheel well :frown:. I shop-vac'd it out, dried it as best I could, left the sunroof and windows cracked when possible to encourage escape of evaporation.
Last night it rained again lightly, water came in. It obvious that it's entering the cabin under the dead pedal.

The head tech at the dealership says he hasn't seen this on newer LR4s, that historically there certainly have been issues but it has been fixed. My dealer is a couple hours away, where I had a personal connection; they're picking it up Friday. It's raining the next couple days potentially.

I mean........ You drop this much money on a truck and you expect it to just be sealed. That's like literally day-one-stuff when designing an interior. Will they fix it this once and it be done forever? It seems like the trucks cursed with this often aren't fixed. Should I just take a lemon law claim and give up on having a nice car and buy a reliable 4Runner that looks like it came out of the bottom of a ******* Jacks box? I do not have a garage, and regardless I do not think this is remotely tolerable.
Fml.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's another thread on here about sunroof drain tube problems causing leaks. Not sure if the problem still exists in 2016 models but it might. Might be worth checking out and having the dealer check. I'm curious to hear the resolution since I have a 2016 also.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect some drain tubes got accidentally pinched, or leftover residues from manufacturing plugged them up. Give them a chance to fix it properly before invoking lemon laws... Water damage is no joke, but you caught it early enough that you shouldn't have any issues (other than the aggravation) after they've cleaned everything up.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I just take a lemon law claim and give up on having a nice car and buy a reliable 4Runner that looks like it came out of the bottom of a ******* Jacks box?
Fml.

Not sure what state you're in, I went through the Lemon Law process in California, before tossing that word out, let the dealer have their chance at fixing it, be sure to keep a record of everything said, by whom, and what was done on paper, usually just dealer paperwork. Use email rather than communicate via telephone. Keep a record of vehicle drop off dates and received dates.

Research your State law, a reference to the Song - Beverly Consumer Warranty Act as is California's case.

"The “Lemon Law”: A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) the same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) the vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle."

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/cars

The day my vehicle hit 30 days in the shop, I immediately asked to invoke Lemon Law. I didn't retain a lawyer. I was put in touch with manufacturers lawyers and they drafted a re-purchase document. My vehicle was then replaced with another of equal or greater value.

Sorry to go off topic, however its imperative you follow your States requirements. Hope you have success in fixing the problem right the first time.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One leak and lemon law it? A step back from the ledge and a deep breath is in order... While annoying, especially for a new car, just wait for a response from the dealer. Likely a clogged sunroof drain, very common (has happened to our LR3 and LR4, the latter when it was only a few months old.) Your truck isn't "cursed for life", not sure how you jump to that or the comment that they often aren't fixed. Sounds like you have a good relationship with the dealer so I expect it will be addressed in one visit.

If it makes you feel any better, when we bought our LR4 we were up in the mountains a week later and the truck had an electrical fault that impaired the suspension, DSC and traction control. Something as stupid as electrical interference from the cooler box rendered the entire stability control system (and all that is attached to it) useless. No dealer for hours and had to drive home on the bump stops over 100 miles. I was not happy but was addressed with a recall. Great truck, just extra personality that you don't get in a Toyota!

StillDisco

Reaction score
The day my vehicle hit 30 days in the shop, I immediately asked to invoke Lemon Law. I didn't retain a lawyer. I was put in touch with manufacturers lawyers and they drafted a re-purchase document. My vehicle was then replaced with another of equal or greater value.

Sorry to go off topic, however its imperative you follow your States requirements. Hope you have success in fixing the problem right the first time.

Thanks much for your post. My State has a more aggressive law than California's it sounds like. I certainly do not lack for legal representation.

I really, really love this car. If they can fix it that would be fantastic... One thing I'm concerned about is getting the vehicle replaced if I need to go that route (long way off obviously)--mine is a 2016 not a 2016.5--so I probably can't. When I bought it a couple weeks ago I felt very lucky to get the color combo I wanted... I'm thinking I do not want an LR5 based on what I've seen of them if it does turn out to be the hatch back type design with the rounded roof line. I couldn't even fit two small coolers in a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee with the rear seats up to tailgate a football game; such a stupid design. I do not understand the current trend of "compromise cars"--either you need a utility vehicle or you don't.

StillDisco

Reaction score
Update

The dealership seems to have completely resolved the issue. The service tech could not have been more professional over the phone each time we spoke, and seemed to do thorough due diligence in order to determine the problem before addressing it. It seems that it was not from the roof but another condensation drain tube coming from the firewall area which wasn't secured with a bracket correctly in one spot, causing water to build up, then dump into the cabin from under the dead pedal when the car angled downhill. They detailed the car and had it back to me in exactly one business day, to the hour. I'm happy that the water did not come through my headliner, etcetera, and consider myself lucky there. The tech tells me that there are no wires or the like under the driver's side carpeting.
I over reacted--but you can imagine how upset you'd be too if this happened to your extremely new vehicle... not a cheap one either.
I absolutely love this truck.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I over reacted--but you can imagine how upset you'd be too if this happened to your extremely new vehicle... not a cheap one either.
I absolutely love this truck.

Can't say I blame you. After dumping that much money on a vehicle, I would have probably reacted the same. Hell, my Lr4 could have the same issue! However, as I am in the desert, it might only see a couple of inches a year in rain!

It's more shocking to hear that these drainage issues seem to be going on in the LR3 and LR4 for so many years without being resolved at the factory.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's amazing LR hasn't fixed this issue after all these years. Been an issue since at least LR3 era and maybe even disco 2. Crazy!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that they are not all caused by the same fault but rather a mistake over oversight during manufacturing with respect to this tube or that tube. You would think they would fix their QC processes to ensure this doesn't happen. And, yes, I would be upset with something like this in the first few weeks of ownership. Glad it is fixed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA