2008 LR3 Discovery 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CemyrMedina

Reaction score
I have the cooper ltz a/t 285/60/18 on my 2008 lr3, i've had them on for about 2 months, and no problems whatsoever, but a couple of friends keep telling me that in the long run bigger than OEM spec tyres will ruin my car, im 23 years old from dominican republic and i use my disco to go on weekends either dirt roads beaches muddy roads full of holes, this is a tropical country and it rains allot and basically i go all over the country in all types of terrain, nothing extreme or that heavy but nice off the road fun with friends, i like finding new beaches and new spots rivers and that sort of stuff all over the island. what do you guys recommend. i bought 4 falken wildpeak a/t 265's and have them lying there just in case its true and i should use something smaller, i also ordered the johnson rods 2.5 lift kit and it should be here any time soon, please give me your feedback on that too. sorry for all the questions, but i need the help of experienced ppl, theres all sorts of theories of what should be and shouldn't be and what works and doesn't, i need facts.

Please help me
Thankyou:hello:
CemyrM

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoy, I think your friends are jealous! Have they told you what they mean by 'ruin'?
I suppose an argument could be made that your axle shafts were designed for the 30" size tire, but it's a pretty weak argument.
Welcome to the forum, would love to see a picture or two of your rig!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rods are more likely to cause troubles over long term use by permanently putting the suspension components into positions they were only meant to be in for short periods.

For a reasonable sized tire like you got, 285/60x18, you do not need the rods at all. Furthermore you'd be much better off using either of two electronic methods available for lifting the vehicle higher during the times you it's more useful.

Either the IIDTool for about $400 (which also allows you to read codes, clear them, and to alter other functions like rain sensing for the wipers, daytime running lamps on/off, etc) or the LLAMS tool (which only changes the height)

For example, I kept telling the dealer service guy that my "intermittent" wiper variable control dial would not change the rate in any way. Only the intensity of rain would. They always said they "fixed" it and it never, ever, changed by twisting the wiper stalk. Yesterday I used the IIDtool to enter the "car configuration" section and turn off the rain sensing portion. This finally "fixed" the problem. Now I can finally have a very, very slow wiper rate for when it's best. The auto program was always way too fast for just misty or light rains often resulting in the noisy "scrunch" wiper movement with window not wet enough yet.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 for the IID Tool...

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members