2008 LR3 HDC,special programs faults-rear differential motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...I've definitely heard that then, from outside the car after shut-off. I'm still not sure I follow the OP's train of thought though. He says the motor is running...and that sounds normal per your post, Trynian. ...not sure how the indy mechanic is determining that a new one is needed.

...and the being stuck at Access height, I still don't see how getting a new rear diff would solve that.

We're also talking about a non off-roader having issues with his LOCKER. Cali, can you confirm that you have the HD package on your rig?

Trynian

Reaction score
Okay...I've definitely heard that then, from outside the car after shut-off. I'm still not sure I follow the OP's train of thought though. He says the motor is running...and that sounds normal per your post, Trynian. ...not sure how the indy mechanic is determining that a new one is needed.

...and the being stuck at Access height, I still don't see how getting a new rear diff would solve that.

We're also talking about a non off-roader having issues with his LOCKER. Cali, can you confirm that you have the HD package on your rig?

I agree, hard to say without a better idea of the sound, like it is running and running instead of the 1 - 2 second power up self test.

The usual fault I have seen when the rear locker is acting up is a reduced traction message.

The 3k price plus labor sounds like a complete diff replacement. The complete diff with locking motor only runs about $2600 on the high end last I checked, I think I paid about $1600 + $400 core charge.

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pick up rebuild parts, motor, or the diff at lucky8 at decent prices. The locking diff is more expensive than the open diff. The 1600 sounds like an open diff price.

Trynian

Reaction score
You can pick up rebuild parts, motor, or the diff at lucky8 at decent prices. The locking diff is more expensive than the open diff. The 1600 sounds like an open diff price.

Nope, it was the locking diff complete as I replaced the open diff with a locking one. At the time the open diff was running about $800. These were the rebuilt prices from LR about a year ago.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA