Warranties

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been a couple of threads about extended warranties, thought I'd throw this out there:

I didn't have the option of a Land Rover extended warranty, as I bought my LR4 from a Maserati dealership 800 miles from my home.. When I bought the warranty, it looked rather generic- it had different levels of coverage that were spelled out in the contract, the more expensive the more comprehensive. I wasn't paying much attention to to the contract, as I was too busy oogling my freshly detailed red LUX, and nodding at the appropriate times while the sales guy went through the details. I made sure to look to see if any package covered control arms and bushings (I think the LR warranty doesn't), and sure as heck there was one. I took it, and drove off.

Last week I got the oil looking drips on the floor. One look under the truck and those bushings were the culprit, sure as a Prius is ugly. Called the dealer, and told them about the warranty.. They said bring it in.

2 complete control arms (with bushings, obviously), a suspension re-calibration, and 9 hours of labor. Warranty company covered it.

Feeling pretty good right now. I am at 51,500 miles, and have had that warranty active for about 4 weeks. I was feeling pretty sure they would try to deny the claim, as that repair was about 50% of the price of the contract, and I have 48,000 miles to go. In this instance, it looks like a generic extended warranty was the key, as they might not have factored the Rover's specific issues in.

I'm going to go grin myself to sleep now..:biggrin:

Mike

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty nice! My Land Rover dealer wouldn't even cover LCA bushings under factory warranty. It is considered wear and tear, per LR. Congrats!

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What company did you do with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safe Guard. Right after the bushings went bad, I went online to see what I was about to go up against.. Their reviews are -terrible-, so I was really biting my nails thinking I was about to get denied. To be fair, I've never seen someone praise a warranty company, and most of the negative feedback is from college kids who got into an accident and drove 40 miles on a flat tire, and wondering why it's not covered:stupid:

They came through for me, so I'm not complaining. This story will be continued, I'll wake this thread up if I go in for anything else, and report back..!

Mike

Last edited:

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Looks to be only avail via dealer.

Last edited:

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2012 full size RR that came with LR's own extended warranty and I send the truck in for inspection and found out one of the suspension is leaking. To my shock, no pun intended, it is not covered under extended warranty. It's $2200 for just one strut. They did cover an oil leak that was found but small things like interior panel rattling was not covered. So far, I am not impressed with the extended warranty at all but I guess time will tell.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be too late for those researching what policy to get, but on my 2011 LR4 I added Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance to my policy. This can only be added for a new vehicle at the time of purchase (doesn't work for a CPO), and you obviously have to be a Geico customer. The cost of this policy has run me about $130 per year (and has not increased much since my LR4 went off warranty). Even paying for it during the warranty years, it's a fraction of the cost of one of those $5-6k policies the dealer quoted me a while back. The MBI policy is good for 7 years/100k miles. And best of all - it actually works! I recently had the front bushings and control arms replaced under this policy at about 60k miles. Cost to me was just a $250 deductible for the entire repair, and that even covered an alignment. Dealer happily worked directly with Geico on processing the claim, and I even got my usual loaner while it was being processed and repaired (took about a week total, since Geico had to send someone to inspect the vehicle before approving the claim). Seamless and worth every penny. Best of all, this isn't the type of insurance claim that impacts your eligibility/rates, so I can use it for any other big repairs over the next 2 years/40k miles. After that expires, not sure what I'll do with my LR4...

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does sound like a great deal depending of course on what is excluded and other terms, etc. However, if it covered a wear item like LCA/bushings, that's pretty good.

I'm probably locked into commando mode now given that I bought my LR4 (also a 2011) as a pre-owned vehicle and it now has 75K+ on the odo. But it may make sense to contact my insurance carrier just for grins to see if they offer products like this.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went ***** on my 2012 LR4. The dealer quoted $4,800 to $5,200 for an extended warranty (2-3 years, I think). My guess is there's better deals out there. Advice?

I'd like to keep my ride for another 2-3 years. It only has 42,000 miles on it. Suggestions on which company to use?

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks goblue95 for the Geico info on their coverage. I'm gonna add that after the LR hits its one year anniversary. Cost is low and it seems reading some reviews it works pretty well. It's $33.87 per 6 months currently for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut