AC hardly works at highway speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisG

Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find anything. Could have been poorly chosen keywords but here goes...

So we've had some issues with our 2008 LR3 8 Cyl - specifically the AC compressor. It was fixed (replaced) last year along with the dryer. It works. It works when not moving or slow (city) speeds. But at highway speeds we can barely feel it at all. We've read the manual and we're doing everything right in terms of climate control settings.

I looked at the air filter and it's marginally dirty and probably worth replacing but not even remotely close to being in desperate need of replacement.

Today I was driving between 60-70 MPH on a sunny day about 85 degrees. The AC was on and the fan speed cranked all the way. We were sweating. I thought the compressor might have failed again. When we got home, I sat in the car idling with the AC on and the blowers felt like they were blowing plenty of cool air. Not sure why we can't get the interior of the LR3 cool when driving on the highway.

Anyone experience a similar issue?

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the AC compressor or the suspension comrpressor and dryer? Just checking as it would seem extremely rare to have 2 AC compressors go bad. If it was the AC compressor, was the new one OEM or aftermarket?

Also, very weird things can happen if your alternator is starting to go bad. My 08 just went bad last week and another 08 was in the shop at the same time with one that was failing. In that person's case, the only symptom was that their radiator fan was randomly running at full speed, cooling the engine even when it was not needed. Aparently a diode was letting current through and causing the ECU to think the engine was very hot when it was not.

I imagine it is plausible that a faulty diode could also trigger a strange fault with the HVAC system, making the system act funny as you describe. Worth checking it for sure at its age knowing how they all fail eventually.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA