4.6L Disco 2 engine operating temps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Figaroni

Reaction score
Hello all I was just curious what the engine operation temp should be. Now I did a search and I found out the answer. I have yet to receive my scan gauge in the mail but I'm refering more to the dummy gauge on the dash. I know, they are worthless as with any other dummy lights from Ford to Toyota. But mine seems higher then it should be or at least higher then I'm used to. If attacthed a pic of where it reads so you can see it. Now it's kinda cool at 101 degrees outside cause we've got some monsoons rolling in but it's this way now or at night when it's 80 degrees. Also from the time I start the truck in the morn (80ish temp at 0720 am) it goes from dead cold to that pictured reading in less then a mile going through my resedental neighborhood and stays that way at any or all speeds. If I open the hood the heat about knocks me down. I feel like a turkey on thanksgiving! Just checking if this is normal.

Thanks, Dan

Side note: Bought the truck, an 03, now w/ 77,800 miles. At 75k the head gaskets blew and I had them replaced with all fluids front to back, 180 stat, belts, hoses, plugs, wires, the works just so I knew everything would be new. Spoke to Disco Mike about another issue and mentioned the replacement parts and he said I went over **** but it's ready done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 16

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, once you get you scanner, test at a 10 minute idle, then in town stop and go , finishing up with highway speeds ar 65 to 70 with the a/c off.
Let us know those 3 numbers.

Figaroni

Reaction score
Ok so I got the scan gauge installed and ran it to and from work today. 8 miles each way. Temp was 89 this am at 0700 and truck ran at a steady 196 and slowly crept up to 204 when stuck at a couple long lights. On the way home at 1730 temp was now 111 and truck again ran steady at 198 and up to 200 at the longest light. So the truck seems to run right. Thank you.

Won't have any freeway speeds till my child's next dr via I out if town.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, those numbers are not bad. Consider installing a 180 degree soft spring t/stat and you will run around 12 to 15 degrees cooler.
By the way what coolant are you using, what color, green or pinkish orange?

Figaroni

Reaction score
Green. Well greenish pink cause out here in Az you learn to run a crap load of Water Wetter. And this reading IS with a 180 stat. That's something else every car out here in 118-130 degree weather runs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV