Llams height controller added

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of closeups of the control switch location, which for me was the hardest part of the installation process since you need to be very precise when drilling for the switch to be secure. The instructions accompanying the kit will tell you exactly what size drill bits to use (in millimeters, I'm afraid... This kit is from Australia) and how far from each other the 3 holes need to be, but doesn't indicate a suitable location for the LR4, only the LR3. So, hopefully the photo helps you in picking the right spot in your car. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I couldn't come up with a better one.

In the first shot, I removed the knob to show you more or less where I drilled the 3 holes for switch, LED and centering peg on the RH side of the steering column's lower cover. Don't drill much lower as you may get in the way of the emergency start sensor that's laying on the inner bottom of the cover. The second photo shows the same switch, with knob in place. You will likely get the fancier knob that more closely matches the look of the remaining knobs on the dash of the LR4, you lucky dog. :smile: However, the 4-position switch (-20mm, 0mm, +30mm, +50mm) behind the knob should be the same.
llams-switch1.jpg

llams-switch2.jpg

The last shot shows where I mounted the "emergency" button that allows you to access useful additional features implemented in recent firmware releases (recovery mode, aka +100mm, extra low mode, aka -50mm, locked mode, fade-out mode). I found the rubber boot under the steering column, behind the square opening at the top of the kick panel, to be ideal for that as there is no chance of pushing that red button accidentally while driving, but it's still accessible by feel from the driver's seat in necessary. Just drill a small pilot hole in the rubber and push the switch through.
llams-button.jpg

And, in case you did not receive the link yet, this is the online installation and calibration + user manual: https://www.box.com/s/46ezof3vcgc9zvo2i9do - Graeme may have already loaded default values for your LR4 in the module you are receiving, so there may be no need to go through calibration, but it's a 5-minute procedure anyway, so no big deal.

Good luck with the install, you will find this mod to be one of the most useful for this vehicle, especially if you plan on wheeling it. Also, when traveling I usually set the suspensions at the -20mm setting, as I find stability of the LR4 in turns to improve a lot when it is just a tad lower than normal height. Try it out!

Last edited:

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm an idiot. I can't seem to remove the kick panel. Do you have to remove the hood release handle?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kick panel is held in place by a couple of sturdy clips. Pull down fairly ******* the upper edge just below the steering wheel, it will come off and open like a book. The pedals cover is a bit trickier, 2 screws and a few clips, plus the footwell light. No need to remove the Hood release lever.

Last edited:

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it! Just need to calibrate and then I'll install the switch in the steering column and reassemble the panels. Also received my compomotives today. Thinking Toyo Open Country.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated install pics. Sorry they are fuzzy, but wanted to show new knob.

image.jpg

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kick panel is held in place by a couple if sturdy clips. Pull down fairly ******* the upper edge just below the steering wheel, it will come off and open like a book. The pedals cover is a bit trickier, 2 screws and a few clips, plus the footwell light. No need to remove the Hood release lever.

Thank you for all the helpful posts. I've had the Llams several months not installed yet due to being hesitant of when to start such a project. It sounds not too terribly hard, just will have to read the directions several times.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, when traveling I usually set the suspensions at the -20mm setting, as I find stability of the LR4 in turns to improve a lot when it is just a tad lower than normal height. Try it out!

I installed mine today. It's a version 2.0.6 so I have the special button and everything just plugs in. My lr3 is a 2007 but build date is october 2006 so I did end up having to use the older setting to stop getting the "drive less than 30mph" message.

I am confused on the function though. It ONLY lowers and raises the rear suspension. Nothing at all on the front.

My Britpart tool works flawlessly storing my 3 levels which I have set as 1,2,3: -25,-15,+25. -30 caused it to raise, +30 I think gave it trouble too or I just decided the extra inch was sufficient for traveling over 30mph in normal height adjusted +25.

Anyway, I find it odd the LLAMS only affects the rear axle. I don't think this is behaving correctly.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something's definitely not right. I had Llams installed on my 2006 Sport for years prior to moving it to the LR4, with and without IIDTool, and I never got any "Drive less than 30 mph" messages. Did you perform the initial calibration after installing the hardware, or did you trust the preset calibrations baked into the hardware? Also, did you quadruple check and made sure all sockets and wiring looms are securely connected and fully seated in their receiving ends following install? One single pin not making full contact is enough to make everything go haywire, I had that problem myself before (started getting mysterious EAS faults at startup), and ended up using some zip ties around the harness connectors, to insure they don't loosen accidentally while driving.

Could be some sort of weird interaction with your saved IIDTool settings, but I doubt it. Like I said, I routinely use Llams along wth IIDTool myself and they seem to coexist just fine. Llams does its thing (-20, 0, +30 or +50mm) without problems. I don't use IIDTool to modify suspensions height as a result, I am happy with the settings built into Llams. Only issue is when performing EAS calibrations with IIDTool I have to disconnect the Llams module and install the supplied null plug on the socket going to it, as IIDTool is unable to read calibration numbers with Llams hooked up otherwise. But that only happens if I need to recalibrate my suspensions, which is something I only did a couple of times on my 2006 RRS.

Graeme has always been very helpful with me when I had questions or issues with his product in the past. Whatever problems you are having, chances are he's heard about them before and has a solution or something for you to try. Give him a holler, I am sure it's something stupid like a loose connection somewhere. Good luck!

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just found your post, thanks! I already got it working earlier today after simply redoing the "learn" method and waiting for each stage to fully finish lifting before starting next phase.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV