swapping headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

simjet22

Reaction score
hello all...i have the non-hid headlights on my lr4. Are the headlight assembly's "plug & play" with the factory hids? If not, what are the best quality hid kits out there. Thanks in advance.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not torn into these on an LR, but from other vehicles I'd say you have more than just the light assembly to replace. You'll have to add ballasts for the HID lights as well. If they are just HID then it may be that simple, but if the donor had adaptive lights, or your current vehicle does not have self leveling, then it will get more complicated as these components will need to be added and probably coded. You're talking about tying into the steering and suspension as this is who the system gathers angles and heights and adjusts for both. I'm not sure about connections or if the HID lamp mounting points and system are the same, both may require modifications as well as you'll have to find a place to mount the ballast.

Along with that will be the LED rings that will be on an HID lamp, these too will need to be wired in though that is the easiest part.

None of that is impossible, just expensive and will require some level of DIY skills.

The easiest way is probably to just buy a set of HID bulbs and ballast from an aftermarket provider that you can wire and plug into existing housings. They will give you the light output of HID but not the perfect beam pattern as the HID uses a projector lamp assembly and the halogens use a reflector assembly. I think Brandon has done that.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a DDM kit on my 2011 and it worked great. Very cheap and easy to install.

Brandon has it now in his low beams and fogs, so he can post the information.

I have stock HIDs in my 2013 and bright LED fogs, but I may put the DDM HID kit in my fogs - they look great and provide amazing visibility.

simjet22

Reaction score
I had a DDM kit on my 2011 and it worked great. Very cheap and easy to install.

Brandon has it now in his low beams and fogs, so he can post the information.

I have stock HIDs in my 2013 and bright LED fogs, but I may put the DDM HID kit in my fogs - they look great and provide amazing visibility.

thanks for the response! i will look into the aftermarket solution. i was hoping to get a set of non-adaptive hid housings and that would "plug and play" and work.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the response! i will look into the aftermarket solution. i was hoping to get a set of non-adaptive hid housings and that would "plug and play" and work.
It is absolutely not plug and play. I looked into it at the dealership back when I had my 2011 and the price was nuts and there is a bit of work that needs to be done.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used an after market HID kit in the northern states where the winters get cold? Any issues with cold weather?

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used an after market HID kit in the northern states where the winters get cold? Any issues with cold weather?

ddms wont fire up right when it's under 30 degrees or so in the winter. this is what I've noticed. However, this is only if you don't install the relay kit. With the relay kit wired straight to the battery you'd have no issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV