Engine Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ticking sound at idle. It doesn't really bother me or seems to have any power issues. After reading problems after fixing chain, Should I even take it to the dealer to get fixed. Or just deal with the ticking?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As noted by an MDX owner, the ticking is probably the fuel injectors. My 2006 Audi A4 was one of the first with "FSI" direct injection and it always made a ticking noise at idle, from new to 180K miles. The ticking on our new LR4 sounds normal to me.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
No real progress here. Got it back last week and they replaced a solenoid for the variable valve timing system and told me to drive it. It feels like it's getting worse so I called Land Rover HQ and they're looking into it. They spoke to the dealer and the dealer is telling them that it's a normal vibration. I asked for someone from corporate to come out and inspect it and give me their opinion. They're going to call me back Monday with something.

Donnie, did you ever take yours in to get looked at?
Hey MadBrit. My LR dealer replaced a "variable valve timing solenoid" on my vehicle also. No change. It still idles a bit rougher compared to before the timing chain/guides, etc were replaced. Not sure what my next moves is.............

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
P

Hey MadBrit. My LR dealer replaced a "variable valve timing solenoid" on my vehicle also. No change. It still idles a bit rougher compared to before the timing chain/guides, etc were replaced. Not sure what my next moves is.............

...buy a Land Cruiser. Jk lol! However I do have 102,000 on my 2008 200series LC and had zero problems. 385hp 401lbs torque and it takes regular. But I'm still getting either a LR4 loaded with all the ARB accessory goodies or the new Range Rover SC with 19" as the 22" would get destroyed off road.

MadBrit

Reaction score
Hey Donnie, they replaced that solenoid on mine too and it still shakes. I took it to another dealer who says it's not normal and they are trying to diagnose the cause. Seems like a big logjam with everyone pointing fingers. Not sure what my next step is. Frustrated.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Unreal. I'm amazed at the volume of problems with this vehicle. It looks like we are both getting the run-around. The dealer was never able to resolve the rough idle condition for me either. In the meantime, mine is back in the shop yet again. I think this is my 20th visit in 3 1/2 years of ownership. I brought it in for "Restricted Performance" light that came on, and the rough idle at cold start. They think it's timing chain/guide related. Again. Stay tuned. Let me know if you take further action on yours.

MadBrit

Reaction score
The second dealer wanted to replace the motor mounts but couldn't guarantee that it was going to solve the problem so I decided not to spend the $1,100 (out of warranty). I still think there's an issue with how it was put back together after the timing chain tensioner / chain replacement. LR corporate is still involved but I'm not sure how much leverage they have on the dealer that did the work so I'm pretty sure that nothing is going to happen and i'm going to be stuck with a rough idling LR4. Let me know if anything happens on your end.

Cash Ripley

Reaction score
Timing Chain Tensioner & Rails Replacement Quote INSANE

Hey everyone - I have an 11 LR4 with 77K miles on it. Had it in to the dealer last week for replacement of the timing chain tensioners due to a loud ticking noise. When I got the car back, the engine is making a very noticeable vibration at low RPM (idle - 1500). More so under load. It wasn't there before the repairs and the dealer is saying that it's normal and not willing to look into it. My question is, does anyone else have the same vibration? Seemed like it was smooth as silk before.

Thanks,

Just had the "Restricted Performance" warning come up on our 2011 LR4 w 59,000 miles. Dealer says small metal shavings in oil and error code indicates timing chain tensioners and rails replacement is required. Quoting me $5800 for the job. This seems insanely expensive, but then again I always feel like I'm getting ripped off. What are my options ?

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the restricted performance warning on my 2011 a while back while under warranty. There was a issue with the solenoid or timing chain - I forget. But it was a huge job took them two days. This was 2 years ago now I think. There is a bulletin for it.

As for the ticking mine does have that in the cold when I first start it up but I'm pretty sure it goes away. Power and everything seems fine.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
My LR4 had the same problem. An issue with the guides causes the timing chain to not be as taught as it should be. The excessive slack cause the chain to make noise. It also changes the engine timing, which is why the "Restricted Performance" light turns on. I don't believe the parts are overly expensive, but the job is labor intensive. I would shop Land Rover dealers for the repair. They don't all charge the same.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA