LR4 - Heavy Duty Package Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lrrb

Reaction score
Does the inclusion of the full size spare have any impact on the interior cargo space? I don't think it does but would like to confirm. Other than the cost, is there any downside to the HD package? I trust that the HD pkg is the same for the LR4 as it was for the LR3?

Also, does it work automatically (like traction control) or do you need to manually set the rear locker? Thanks.

Last edited:

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inclusion of the full size spare has no effect on interior cargo space, its sits outside the truck underneath the cargo space between the exhaust outlets. As far as I know, there is no downside to having the hd package except for the fact that it is one more thing that can break further down the line. Having the rear diff leaves a possibility for rear diff failure. There have been a few reports of locking rear diffs going out at 70k miles or so. I am 90% sure the hd package is the same for the lr3 and lr4. It might have been beefed up to handle the extra hp and tq of the 5.0, but im sure the essentials are the same. And yes, it does work automatically, the terrain response will automatically lock the center and/or rear diff when the situation gets a bit hairy.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first one did not have the HD package, and I made sure to get it on the LR3 I have now (08 model). I'm glad I got it. Seems easier up the steep rocky stuff. And like everything else, it is automatic - point and shoot! :smile:

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't understand why they don't put these on everyone of their vehicles since the intended off road use would be helped by it.. And to make it worse, it's pretty hard to find them to begin with.

j

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll find one - keep looking

There is hope.

I found mine (05 HSE) with the rear locker / HD package. Had to look but they are out there.

The easiest way to tell -- for example if you are at carmax or a LR dealer looking up and down an aisle -- is if it has a full size spare. Then make sure its actually got the rear locker (wires / plugs above rear diff). I did look at one 2005 truck that had a full size spare but NOT the hd locking rear differential. Prob the previous owner just put the full size spare on himself.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably 3/4 of all LR3/LR4 vehicles never leave the highway. Consequently, the HD package would just be a waste of weight for most of them. Sad to say, but there are a huge number of people who want say "I drive a Land Rover" without ever using any of the features that make it a "Land Rover". Kind of like people who buy a Ferrari and drive the speed limit.

David

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, i agree in fact right now i'm struggling with same issue. Justifying spending 60k on a new vehicle and taking it off road...lol....But, i think it should be there anyway just in case its needed.

I'm sure the newness factor will wear off, and then i will be good to go....or i'm thinking of getting a second used LR strictly for off road untill i have at least given the new truck some miles....

john

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Random Orbital Polisher and the Langka Sanding and Blob kits are your friends. Thank Yahweh they do not measure paint thickness at lease return inspections.....

I'm always paranoid taking my wife's FFRR off-road. No rock crawling; but steep gravel, brush, rocky creeks and a white glove and surgical light inspection when I arrive home. Albeit the only damage it has received was in a McDonald's drive thru - not on my watch!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Justifying spending 60k on a new vehicle and taking it off road...

How do you justify buying a serious off-road machine such as the LR3 and NOT taking it off-road? That's a real question, because this scenario makes less sense than the former.

If you want AWD and SUV versatility there are many nice rigs on the market that can achieve that. If the cost of the new Rover keeps you on the pavement, then consider getting a 2004 DII or an older LR3 and take it offroad!

It's just plain silly not to take these things off-road, even if it's just a little bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA