LR4 - Heavy Duty Package Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is hope.

I found mine (05 HSE) with the rear locker / HD package. Had to look but they are out there.

The easiest way to tell -- for example if you are at carmax or a LR dealer looking up and down an aisle -- is if it has a full size spare. Then make sure its actually got the rear locker (wires / plugs above rear diff). I did look at one 2005 truck that had a full size spare but NOT the hd locking rear differential. Prob the previous owner just put the full size spare on himself.

And likewise I bought a truck with a rear locker but no full size spare because someone must have swapped it. Looking in the pic for a spare tire is the easiest way to tell though and I'm sure my situation is rare.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nicely put man!! You have no idea how many people think I bought a Land Rover to make a statement or to show off or something. I bought a Land Rover because of what it is. The adventurous jungle breed that makes up the DNA of a Land Rover. I love the looks I get when I am out somewhere wheelin and you have all these guys with jacked up trucks with their so called "Off Road or 4x4" capability and here I am with my basically stock LR3(Only up graded tires so far) and I not only gracefully conquer their simple obstacle; I am about 6 out of 10 on having to pull them out of their pathetic situations. All while I have made the least damage and smallest footprint to the trail itself. If you will use it I believe it is actually the most versatile vehicle on the planet. That's IF you use it for what it was designed for. But that is just my opinion. Cheers!!!

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you justify buying a serious off-road machine such as the LR3 and NOT taking it off-road? That's a real question, because this scenario makes less sense than the former.

If you want AWD and SUV versatility there are many nice rigs on the market that can achieve that. If the cost of the new Rover keeps you on the pavement, then consider getting a 2004 DII or an older LR3 and take it offroad!

It's just plain silly not to take these things off-road, even if it's just a little bit.

I think you pulled part of my post without the balance which actually "agrees" with what your saying. That being said, I look forward to taking it out in the snow and on trails that don't pose all that much danger as far as body work goes. This would be based on my inexperience & not f'n up my everyday ride before i hit 100 0 miles.

So, if your inclined to submerge a brand new vehicle in water or bounce it off some trees or rocks the minute you drive out of the showroom, knock yourself out. lol....I'll take my time about it like i said. If thats silly, then call me silly.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't understand why they don't put these on everyone of their vehicles since the intended off road use would be helped by it.. And to make it worse, it's pretty hard to find them to begin with.

When I was looking to buy a used one, I asked the dealer about this. He basically told me that they don't see very many because all of the other off-roading systems/features of the LR3 have become so good that it's not as important.

I'm a newb when it comes to off-roading and have never owned anything with a rear locker, so I don't know how accurate that information is :) .. i.e., don't shoot the messenger! ;)

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salesmen say that based on what they have in stock or can get easily. If they don't have it. . ."well you probably don't need it." If they do have it and can charge for it. . ."why of course you need it."

If you are not familiar with offroading, all the more reason to get one with the locker. Frankly, I believe it is crazy not to get one with the HD package. Lockers are key in many light to medium off roading, not just the extreme stuff.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, Rover7777...I understand what you're saying...nobody wants to F up their rig, myself included. I started off with easier runs and my rig stock. As I advanced I became less fearful and also became a better driver. I also skid-plated the hell out of the bottom, got better tires and the infamous "rod-mod." I don't go crazy, but I've done trials rated "most difficult" with ease.

I have no body damage, except for the aluminum rub strips on my side steps being torn off, but I bolted them back on; looks mean now! Anyhow, take your rig out on the light stuff, then progress. Even if it's just an abundance of snow and some light trail work, that's fine! ...I just didn't want you to get it and keep it on pavement. It's your prerogative but it would be a shame. Glad you're not implying that.

As for Schafari's point. I agree for the most part. I think that the salesman only know what they know. If course they're going to try and sell you what's in front of them and can make a case either way. The bottom line is that if you can wait it out and find one with the HD package it's absolutely worth it. If you can't, the non-HD LR3 is also very capable.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand concern about scratching a $60k vehicle. Mine was in the brush before I hade license plates on it. I bought it as a work vehicle, realizing that as I drove it off the lot it was going to depreciate 40%. My first LR3 was never not scratched, no dings but pretty scratched. When I traded it in I got full trade in value (not "excellent" but the next category down) and if the paint had been perfect I would have gotten $300 more. What would have been the value of just exposing it to McDonald's parking lots instead of going to some amazing places you just don't see in a Mercedes?

I guess I don't get it, but then I don't have to it is your vehicle.

David

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, you REALLY don't get it? I think it's pretty easy to understand why someone wouldn't want to scratch up a vehicle, whether it's expensive or not. Throw in the cost and I think it's fairly obvious why an owner would want to protect it. I'm of the mindset that you should take it out (offroad) and protect it with skid plates and polish...not by keeping it on tarmac.

Most of us did NOT buy our LR3s as work trucks...

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until I got my first LR3, a vehcle was something that got you from here to there and I never understood people who were defined by their vehicles. With the LR3 I'm starting to understand that relationship some, but with me the attachment is what the vehicle can let me do, not what it looks like. I do the maintenance required to prevent rust, but beyond that I don't get it. Guess I never will.

David

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't get it, but then I don't have to it is your vehicle.

David[/quote]
I think that pretty much sums it up. You are right on both counts. You don't get it, and its not your worry.

And BTW, this is a work truck for me also....To see clients in, to go to new job sites and finally not get stuck in the mud. But that doesn't mean reckless abandon on keeping it looking nice for when i go out to dinner or wherever. What makes this vehicle so nice is its capability under many diferent scenarios, and thats what attracted me to it.

Not a subject really worth arguing about quite honestly.

John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut