Llams height controller added

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the weekend I moved my trusty Llams height controller from my "outgoing" RRS to my new LR4. The transfer was no fun (especially removing the wiring harness off the RRS, those sockets seemed to be glued to the EAS control module, and that sucker's not easy to work on to begin with), but a couple of hours of swearing, pulling, sweating, drilling and calibrating later, the module and control switch are successfully installed in my new baby.

Photo of the location of the rotary switch and LED (on the lower steering column shroud, opposite side of the electric steering switch and about a 1/2" above the "emergency" sensor for the fob transponder.) I am used to operating that 4-position switch by feel after a few years of practice on the Sport, so no need for me to mount it on the center console to replace the cigarette lighter socket in front of the TR controls like other LR4 owners have done. I can use all the 12v sockets available, would have hated to lose one of them to the switch... :smile:

LR4llamsswitch-X3.jpg

For those not familiar, the Llams height controller is an electronic module that allows you to modify the stock height of your EAS suspensions on-the-fly on 2005+ LR3 / LR4s and RRS by turning the 4-position switch mounted in the car: -20mm, off (stock height), +30mm or +50mm. These changes are not speed dependent and are on top of the height changes provided by the "regular" EAS settings. I've used it for almost 2 years on my 2006 Sport and it's been performing great off-road and on. Not cheap but worth every penny to me.

Last edited:

discotwinturbo

Reaction score
Heh that looks like my interior...but mirrored.
LLAMS is a great addition.
I drive around on -20 with my factory rubber. Even with my Cooper 286/60-18's on Compomotive rims, I can still ride at that height. Gives me 0.5 litres less per 100kms better economy at this height.
Shift on the fly is very handy.
Don't know if yours came with this, but you now can press a button to give extra height again (higher than LLAMS +50 and offroad height), and extra low when needed (lower than access height and LLAMS -20....pretty much on the bump stops).
One of the best additions.
Brett....

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was among the first owners of Llams (at least here in the States), and my 1.0 version didn't come with the "new" recovery and extra low switch... Can't say I really missed either feature - have yet to get stranded in the boonies with an unrecoverable ABS fault and the car on the bump stops... - but Graeme has kindly offered to upgrade my module at no charge with the latest features anyway, right after he found out I transferred the system from my old car to the new one. Good product and great support, can't ask for anything more.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's easier the second time around and some contortions are required, but not difficult at all. I mean, I did it, so... ;-) Some panels need to be removed and a harness disconnected from / reconnected to the EAS module (which is on the driver's side lower A-pillar, accessible from below after removing pedal and kick panels.) The control switch installation is probably the most "difficult" to do, depending on where you want the switch to be in your car. Calibration is a breeze, just follow the instructions. http://www.llams.com.au/?p=11 for info, pricing and install instructions. Except for switch location, installation is virtually identical on LR3 and LR4.

Last edited:

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on my todo list. Love the location too.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my llams should be arriving any day now. Umbertob, do you have any other installation pics? I have never pulled apart the dash and am a little anxious about the install.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow the step-by-step instructions with photos posted online (I am sure Graeme sent you the link) and you'll have zero problems, it just takes a bit of time and patience, some screwdrivers, a drill and a handful of drill bits, maybe some zip ties and Velcro tape if you want to stick the module above or near the EAS one after calibration and to make everything look professionally installed.

If you decide to install the rotary switch where I have it (on the RH of the steering column), you don't have to remove anything from the dash, just the steering column shroud and the 2 panels under the steering wheel / above the pedals to get to the EAS module and run all the wires. For me, disassembling and reassembling upper and lower steering shrouds was the hardest part of the job, those suckers don't line up right when you try to put it all back together until you have cussed for at least 10-15 minutes...

Graeme sent me a complimentary module a couple of weeks ago that includes the new features you will surely be getting (emergency off-road height, etc.), with the additional temporary switch to enable them. When I purchased my module originally 3-4 years ago, those features had not been implemented yet. Without me even asking, he sent me an upgraded module at no charge, how's that for customer service? I installed the temporary switch partially hidden on the steering column, since it's a switch you don't want to hit accidentally. I drilled a small hole on the rubber boot visible on the opening under the steering wheel. That was way easier than installing the main switch. I'll send you a photo of that switch to give you a better idea.

If you run into problems during the install feel free to email me, umberto at sovrana dot com, I'll be happy to help you.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This seems like a great option. I got johnson rods and am happy with driving all time a couple inches higher and like the stance of the Discovery a little higher, but the option of adjustments on the go is just amazing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72