Engine Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadBrit

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I have an 11 LR4 with 77K miles on it. Had it in to the dealer last week for replacement of the timing chain tensioners due to a loud ticking noise. When I got the car back, the engine is making a very noticeable vibration at low RPM (idle - 1500). More so under load. It wasn't there before the repairs and the dealer is saying that it's normal and not willing to look into it. My question is, does anyone else have the same vibration? Seemed like it was smooth as silk before.

Thanks,

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a disappointment! If you are certain it was not present beforehand, I would continue to push the dealership on a resolution. A couple of things which come to my mind which may cause the problem:
1) Spark/ignition issues. I don't know the service interval on the plugs, but you may have one or more that has worn a bit faster than factory spec. Bad gas may have affected one or more injectors.
2) Engine mounts. They <should> still be good based on age but you do have a lot of miles. Has your LR4 been a gentle highway-cruiser, or has it seen duty? The loading/unloading of the mounts during the repair process may have inadvertently loosened the mounts or allowed the already compromised mounts to progress to a noticeable level of failure/degradation.

Please keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks,
Randy

MadBrit

Reaction score
Thanks, R Hermann. Good call on the spark plugs, and/or a clogged injector. I'm going to take it somewhere else for a second opinion today and hopefully get to the bottom of this.

It was a highway queen when I bought it and has since seen a little use offroad but the vibration is present in or out of gear which leads me to suspect something other than the motor mounts is causing it.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I have an 11 LR4 with 77K miles on it. Had it in to the dealer last week for replacement of the timing chain tensioners due to a loud ticking noise. When I got the car back, the engine is making a very noticeable vibration at low RPM (idle - 1500). More so under load. It wasn't there before the repairs and the dealer is saying that it's normal and not willing to look into it. My question is, does anyone else have the same vibration? Seemed like it was smooth as silk before.

Thanks,
I have the same issue on my 2011 LR4. Timing chain/guides just replaced because of tapping noise at idle. On the drive home I noticed the same vibration you are describing. I honestly thought I was being hyper vigilant, but after reading your post I am going to return to the dealer. I am quite sure it idled very smoothly prior to this repair.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this has happened since the dealer worked on it, call them, let them know there is a problem and get it back to them ASAP. Remember any work done on you vehicle has a 1 year unlimited warranty.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
This tapping noise heard, Is it pretty noticeable?

Yes. If your vehicle has this issue you will hear it at idle if you are standing in front of it, especially if the engine is cold. This is apparently know to happen on some 5.0L engines.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the cams could be off by a tooth...

MadBrit

Reaction score
Wow you have the same issue!? Definitely let me know how taking it back to the dealer plays out. When I took it back, they told me it was normal and that they weren't willing to look into it further. I took it to a local independent shop where the owner is the retired service manager from the same dealer and he said no way that was normal. My Rover is no longer under warranty, so what would the next step be? Call LR USA and have them tell me that the vibration is normal?

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the tapping frequency vary with rpm's? How about intensity/loudness?

A trick for locating the source of an engine noise is to take a long screwdriver (or other metal shaft) and place one end against an engine part then "listen" at the other end, like a stethoscope. If you find the source of the ticking, you'll know it.
Obviously, be VARY careful around any moving parts, belts, etc. If you are not familiar/experienced working on engines, best to skip this test for your personal safety.
Ha! I just looked at the engine compartment. Good luck finding exposed metal without removing that cover! Times have changed...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA