Engine Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Acura MDX has a tick-tick-tick... noise when idling. Especially when cold. It is normal. It apparently has to do with the Direct Injection engine on the MDX. Not sure if that is at all related.

MadBrit

Reaction score
So the guy from the independent shop called me this morning after doing some research. He said that after talking to some LR techs he knows and an actual LR engineer, that it's quite safe to say that they didn't do the job right. The LR engineer was saying that there are several components that must be removed when doing the timing chains/tensioners job that are actually weighted and must go back on in the exact same position. He went further to say that if any of these components weren't put back on in the correct orientation, that it would cause the vibration in question. Instructions were to take it back to the dealer and if they refuse to call LR and get them involved. You bet i'll be back there first thing Monday to get this sorted!

MadBrit

Reaction score
I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday, let them know of the conversation with the LR engineer and the potential issue with the repair and they're supposed to get back with me this morning. Looking forward to getting it sorted.

Jomalo

Reaction score
Can you provide more details on the vibration noise?

I hear a vibrating noise in my '12 LR4 (5L v8, about 30K miles) that sounds like it comes from the gearbox area, and to me it sounds like loose plastic vibrating at a high frequency. Taken it to the shop and they can't figure it out either..

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
I doubt it. If it was off by a tooth, the engine would run much worse, and have far less power.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Wow you have the same issue!? Definitely let me know how taking it back to the dealer plays out. When I took it back, they told me it was normal and that they weren't willing to look into it further. I took it to a local independent shop where the owner is the retired service manager from the same dealer and he said no way that was normal. My Rover is no longer under warranty, so what would the next step be? Call LR USA and have them tell me that the vibration is normal?

I would definitely call Land Rover (not the dealer) for help.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Does the tapping frequency vary with rpm's? How about intensity/loudness?

A trick for locating the source of an engine noise is to take a long screwdriver (or other metal shaft) and place one end against an engine part then "listen" at the other end, like a stethoscope. If you find the source of the ticking, you'll know it.
Obviously, be VARY careful around any moving parts, belts, etc. If you are not familiar/experienced working on engines, best to skip this test for your personal safety.
Ha! I just looked at the engine compartment. Good luck finding exposed metal without removing that cover! Times have changed...
The frequency will increase with higher RPMs, however the noise does go away once RPMs go over a certain level, maybe 1500. This makes sense based on my understanding of what's happening: There is a tensioner, perhaps two, that apply pressure to the timing chain. The amount of pressure exerted depends on the oil pressure, which increases as RPMs increase. At idle, oil pressure is lower, which means the tension applied to the timing chain is less. This causes the chain to develop a bit of slack and slap against various timing chain guides in the engine. That's the noise you hear.

MadBrit

Reaction score
The dealer has had it since Monday and just called to say that they feel the vibration is normal. I told the service manager he didn't know what he's talking about and got a line of BS that a vibrating engine is "inherent in the design". Going to call Land Rover and try to get some help.

MadBrit

Reaction score
No real progress here. Got it back last week and they replaced a solenoid for the variable valve timing system and told me to drive it. It feels like it's getting worse so I called Land Rover HQ and they're looking into it. They spoke to the dealer and the dealer is telling them that it's a normal vibration. I asked for someone from corporate to come out and inspect it and give me their opinion. They're going to call me back Monday with something.

Donnie, did you ever take yours in to get looked at?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi