2015 the new discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the previous generation Range Rover came out there were endless comparisons to a Ford Explorer. The fact that Land Rover styling influences Ford and others doesn't bother me. It's Ford following LR, not the other way around. It's the reason Ford sedans have Aston Martin Grilles and Hyundais used to look like Bentleys.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the previous generation Range Rover came out there were endless comparisons to a Ford Explorer. The fact that Land Rover styling influences Ford and others doesn't bother me. It's Ford following LR, not the other way around. It's the reason Ford sedans have Aston Martin Grilles and Hyundais used to look like Bentleys.

The 2002 BMW-designed Range Rover? I remember attending NY Auto show when the re-design was introduced. It looked nothing like the Explorer. It was a good evolution of its iconic design. No-nonsense front grille (just horizontal lines with no jewelry or diamonds attached to it), and return of the iconic elements of the original classic 1970 design. The only thing I personally thought was that they could have invested a bit more design dollars into some elements of the interior, specifically dash board (glove box opening button, console, etc), everything else looked pretty good. I am surprised that people at the time compared it to the Ford Explorer of the day which honestly was crap looking at the time and looked nothing like a Range Rover. Interesting though.

Last edited:

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that one. Go back and look at the range rover forums at that time, there was a lot of hand-wringing. I personally loved the design and owned two of them, a 2006 HSE and a 2010 supercharged.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I could never bring my self to getting one. The lack of rear diff and cargo room killed it for me. They returned the rear locker in the new RR but seems like they have reduced the rear cargo room even more. How many times I stopped by a local dealership, sat in one, looked hard at the merits and real life utility of the new RR but it just could not fit my needs and I got the LR4. The only thing I miss in my LR4 is the premium fit and finish and material choice, and the choice of a supercharged v8 that they have deliberately kept off from LR4 to keep the distance.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one image speaks volumes about the brand. Its bipolar. They always start out saying "It must be off road capable", but then they do everything they can to make it future/tech/style/slick and they may throw in some fancy movable seats, but they barely keep any of the true capability that we love on these things. Seats should have flat backs, etc.

uyx99gm5qiw0m7rovpgr.jpg

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one image speaks volumes about the brand. Its bipolar. They always start out saying "It must be off road capable", but then they do everything they can to make it future/tech/style/slick and they may throw in some fancy movable seats, but they barely keep any of the true capability that we love on these things. Seats should have flat backs, etc.

uyx99gm5qiw0m7rovpgr.jpg
Maybe those wheels fold inwards so the rims spin at a incredible rate of speed to create a Hover Rover instead of Rock Crawl mode.

avus9

Reaction score

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the Discovery Sport mule. Not the replacement for the LR4 although the design language will be very similar.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV