Nail in Tire...replace both tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXLR4

Reaction score
As the title states, i picked up a nail and punctured the sidewall of the tire and of course its trashed (stock contis on the 19" rim)

At $285 a pop, im not too thrilled. Discount is recommending I replace both the rears because with an all wheel drive, it will screw up the transfer case if the tread wear is uneven between each side. Keep in mind...I've got 11,*** miles on this so the tires arent in terrible shape by any means.

So, the question is...is this really true? Am I putting bigger issues at risk? I feel like i could get 4 new tires that are not the contis for cheaper than what these 2 are gonna cost. Thoughts?

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about using your spare with a single new tire and taking the good, 11K used tire and making that your spare?

TXLR4

Reaction score
First I need to verify if my spare matches...for some reason i dont think it does.
My wife has the car so I dont know what the spare looks like.

Doesn't a full size spare only come with the HD package?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, without HD you probably have the compact spare. At 11K miles, and knowing how quickly the Conits wear out, it's a tough call. I'd bite the bullet in your shoes, even though the difference in tread wear may not be so dramatic between your tire and a new one to generate any issues, especially in the rear (the front can create more issues as a difference in overall circumference can make the transmission think you are cornering, and prevent upshifts.)

TXLR4

Reaction score
Yes, without HD you probably have the compact spare. At 11K miles, and knowing how quickly the Conits wear out, it's a tough call. I'd bite the bullet in your shoes, even though the difference in tread wear may not be so dramatic between your tire and a new one to generate any issues, especially in the rear (the front can create more issues as a difference in overall circumference can make the transmission think you are cornering, and prevent upshifts.)

Yep you're right...crappy spare is what i've got. So, would you go with the contis again (they seem awfully soft) or something else?

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cooper Zeon LTZ's are my favorite tires for the 19's... A handful of guys on here have run them with positive reviews.

TXLR4

Reaction score
Cooper Zeon LTZ's are my favorite tires for the 19's... A handful of guys on here have run them with positive reviews.

seem to ride smooth and still be quiet? this is a grocery getter and will probably hardly ever see anything other than pavement (if ever)

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had them. Just heard great things about them. Finlay on here has run them on both of his LR4's, and they seem like great tires. Much more rugged and durable than the stock contis while still providing a smooth and comfortable ride on the street. I don't think you'd be disappointed. Hopefully Finlay can chime in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, don't call the LR4 a grocery getter ;) Look up some local trails and go for a ride. Especially with the right tires, you'll be very impressed. It gets addicting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Brandon said, I had the Coopers on my 2011 and 2013 LR4 (before I got the BFGs) and they were great tires on the road. However, I am not sure what type of climate you live in, but they were not the best in the snow - decent, but not amazing.

Looks wise, the Coopers fit the LR4 very nicely and give a great drive (not loud on the road at all), wear very well, but not so sure about heavy snow/ice.

I hope that helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA