Driveability issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankZ

Reaction score
04 Freelander, 2.5L V6
First post here.

Recently started having some issues while driving.

Starts easily and idles smoothly....initially. When I start driving it shifts fine from a full stop up to 70-75 MPH.
The problem is that after a stop at a light or stop sign the engine idles very rough and the vehicle won't shift worth a damn. RPM's climb to 4-5K and can slowly creep up to 50 mph.

Occasionally manual shifting helps, but not always. I can pull over to the side of the road and shut the engine off, restart after a few seconds and more often than not it will idle smoothly again and drive normally, other times it will start moving normally then the odd shifting and misfire return.

I'm getting misfire codes P0301, P0303, P0305 and P1472. I did get a few tranny codes but those seem to be directly related to the rough idle/misfire.

So far I've done a thorough cleaning of the throttle body and the MAF (Carb and Choke Cleaner). I've also cleaned the contacts in the Neutral Safety Switch and added some fresh dielectric grease.

Thought?
Opinions?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give us the tranny code, can't help you without. Never clean a MAF without a code indicating it is a problem, How many miles on it and when it was last tuned?

FrankZ

Reaction score
I was getting a P0705, but it went away after cleaning the NSS.
P1391 popped up once but hasn't come back since I cleaned the MAF and T/B.

I've made a habit of cleaning the MAF at the same time that I clean the throttle body. Is there something unique about the LR MAF that I'm unaware of?

Approx. 101 K and I have no idea when it was tuned, I only recently purchased it. I do know that the top end was rebuilt shortly before I bought the car.

The problems I described started within the last 300 or so miles.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On some Rover's there have been problems after cleaning a MAF.
Why are you cleaning your t/body so frequently?
You need to install so new plugs to get rid of those misfire codes.

FrankZ

Reaction score
No, no, no...
I don't clean this one anymore than I clean any others.

I know I need to get rid of the misfire codes, hence my post.

Plugs are on the list, but they are not the root cause of the misfire.

Remember, I posted that the misfire does not occur all the time and it goes away away when I restart the car.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, how many mikes on it?
Have you even pulled the 1,3,5 plugs?

FrankZ

Reaction score
Again, how many mikes on it?
Have you even pulled the 1,3,5 plugs?
Approx. 101 K and I have no idea when it was tuned, I only recently purchased it. I do know that the top end was rebuilt shortly before I bought the car.

The problems I described started within the last 300 or so miles.
No, I haven't pulled the plugs, but they were replaced shortly before I bought the car.

If the plugs were the culprit the misfire would be constant and not intermittent.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would have been good if you had mentioned that earlier.
The older Rovers per prone to getting misfire codes, all on the same bank and we usually found a vaccum leak at the manifold, a power valve issue, might do a Google search for a Rover fault 147.

FrankZ

Reaction score
Just pulled all the plugs and replaced them, no difference.
I know I need new VIS motors, but researching this forum and others leads me to believe that a P1471 error is not going to cause the issues I'm having.

Also getting a P0132 error. I guess I'll try a new sensor now.....

Can't wait till I get this thing done and sold.

FrankZ

Reaction score
New plugs on all cylinders, new 02 sensor on bank one, upstream of cat.....still getting
P0301
P0303
P0305
P0132
P1471 (This one doesn't matter right now.)

Clear the codes or shut off and restart start,either way the engine starts and runs smoothly. Drive a short distance and come to a complete stop or even a rolling stop and the misfire is back along with the P0132 O2 code.

Stumped.....

FWIW,
I've been to a few rodeo's and BBQ's, so I'm no stranger to OBD2 systems.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut