Clicking/Ticking Noise at low RPMs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alfaro7

Reaction score
For about 2 weeks now my DISCO has been making a weird ticking noise.
This is a new-to-me 2000 DISCO II, 96k miles.

There is no noise on cold start & it goes away over 1000 RPMs
Noise sometimes doesn't come around at all, but more often than not it does make noise after temp gauge reaches midline.

Following the advice of DiscoMike, I am now running Rotella T6 oil, which i feel helped a little bit. My next move is putting in a lower temperature thermostat & getting a pressure reading.

I do have a very slow coolant leak from below the throttle body.

Any insights greatly appreciated!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, fix your coolant leak and do a oil pressure test and report all 4 numbers back to us. Should test when cold at idle and at 2000 RPN's and again when hot.
If the pump is OK then it is time to check the valve train and at that point, we should talk again.

Moe.elfa

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have the same exact problem with the tick noise at low Rpms after driving around with it for a while. It feels stronger when I start breaking from high speeds. At high speed there is no noise. However, when I'm goin at high speeds and the rpm is low and press the gas suddenly (more like kick the gas pedal), I hear a huge "Tick!" and I feel coming from the transmission. I checked under the car and my passenger side transmission mount was broken in half so I swapped it out. The problem lessened but it shows up after a longer time. I also have the same very slow coolant leak from the throttle body.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First Moe.elfa what year Disco do you have? It is always best to start a new thread and not and to one from almost 2 years ago.

Moe.elfa

Reaction score
Hi Joey, I have a Disco II 1999 with a 2002 4.6L engine. There is 136K miles on the chassis and about 60k on the engine. Sorry I'm new here so i thought it's best to continue because they didn't post the solution.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the noise while parked and running or just while in gear? If in gear has your front driveshaft been replaced? If not, change it with one that has grease fittings. If the noise is just in park and a different noise under load, then it could just be a slightly slipped liner which isn't a bad thing... under load I would still say driveshaft.

Moe.elfa

Reaction score
The noise starts after the car warms up at low rpms and IN GEAR especially while braking to a steady stop. However, if I here the noise while in drive and put the car in neutral the noise will go away. No the front drive shaft has never been replaced. What do think of the custom built front drive shafts from the Great Basin? (http://gbrutah.com/product-catalog/coil-sprung-drive-shafts/)

Thanks Again!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Great Basin makes some very good things... I don't remember where I got mine when needed, but if the driveshaft is still the original I wouldn't drive it until you change it out, since if it comes apart you will need a new transmission as well.

Moe.elfa

Reaction score
Are there any visible signs on the drive shaft that indicates it's bad?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
sadly no visible indicators but if it doesn't have grease fitting change it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV