Knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZR1Gerhardt

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had a knocking sound develop. Noticed it at first turning the steering wheel parked and moving slowly. Next i noticed it raising and lowering the suspension trying to reproduce the sound. It is coming from the front passenger wheel area.

I lifted the car and did the six to twelve o'clock test, seemed fine so the wheel bearing is probably fine. I am not the best mechanic at diagnosing things, but can fix things if I have instructions.

Thoughts as to what to look at?

Scott

RLParts

Reaction score
It could be the control arm bushings, those are always going bad. Have you take it to a european shop to get it checked out?

ZR1Gerhardt

Reaction score
It could be the control arm bushings, those are always going bad. Have you take it to a european shop to get it checked out?

Going to do so today! Compressor seems fine. Car holds it height, so air shocks likely good.

Bushings on the control arms are likely the culprit. I will call the local shop later today!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Scott

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Control arm bushings go notoriously often on the LR4. My truck is a 2013 and I had them go completely last fall. Easiest way to test is drive very slowly (1-2mph) and pulse your brakes quite hard 3x .. like a tap tap tap. The LR serviceman told me this and sure enough, you could hear it clunk clunk clunk along with every hard press of the brake pedal. Once the bushings were replaced, it was silent just like new.

Papa

Reaction score
I am thinking I have control arm issues. It sounds like the remedy is to replace the entire control arm. Do you do just the offending arm or replace Bi- laterally? Can anybody give a cost estimate before I have my shop look at it?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the control arms for about $300 each. I would do both--it's likely that the non-offending control arm bushing will go out soon.

After that it's labor and alignment.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2- mine both went out within 2 weeks of each other.

Mike

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no reason to replace just one side and ignore the other. Inspect the 4 outside bushings of the lower control arms (front/rear of each control arm) If you see a dark wet coating, similar to old oil, the bushing hydro seal has failed and the arm will "clunk" when encountering a speed bump or *** hole. The first bushing to typically fail is the passenger side rear one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut