WHEEL and TIRE DILEMMA WITH LR4's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWarner

Reaction score
They are on stock 20x9.5 Land Rover rims.

Perhaps the extra half inch of the 10" wheel was the cause of the bolt rubbing then... Good to know they work on a 9.5 inch wheel though. That gives us about three or four choices in size then:

On a 9.5 inch wheel either 265/50/20 or 285/50/20

On a 10" wheel a 285/45/20

If your truck came stock with 20s and the 109 Load rating you may also be able to go with a 275/45/20 and I believe a 275/40/22 or 285/40/22 if you want to upsize...

Any others I'm missing?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider here is the weight that those wheels are rated. OEM Land Rover wheels as well as the Compo's have a very high weight rating.

When I was researching other options every manufacturer I spoke to that had the right hub and lug pattern didn't have a high enough load rating on the wheel.

Just something to think about, not sure if its wise to go wheeling with a loaded vehicle but freakier things have happened....

DWarner

Reaction score
One thing to consider here is the weight that those wheels are rated. OEM Land Rover wheels as well as the Compo's have a very high weight rating.

When I was researching other options every manufacturer I spoke to that had the right hub and lug pattern didn't have a high enough load rating on the wheel.

Just something to think about, not sure if its wise to go wheeling with a loaded vehicle but freakier things have happened....

You're right...Good point. I think it's another reason to choose a reputable seller like Discount Tire or Tire Rack because they won't even offer a wheel choice that doesn't match Land Rover's or any manufacturer's recommendations.

The particular Voxx wheel we chose was rated to carry over 2100lbs per wheel and met the specs of LR. The weight rating is printed directly on the wheel. Because the tires absorb a great deal of the energy, the wheel weight rating won't necessarily match the recommended tire load rating.

Voxx boasts of their wheels being able to carry the heavy European SUVs on their website:As a sporting enthusiast, this wheel is not to be overlooked. As you follow the contours of the Danza, you will notice a deep undercut design. This direct drilled wheel boasts a higher load capacity for Porsche and BMW SUV applications and allows big brake clearance. The Danza is manufactured in a broad range of stagger fitment sizes and accepts an OEM BMW cap.

But the weight of the LR4 is definitely an issue to take into consideration when changing running gear. It kinda forced me to learn more about the wheel and tire options of this truck than any of my previous vehicles. I think we ended up with something that looks decent but didn't compromise safety or durability.

We tow a camper a few times a year and will be in a week or so, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the new setup responds with that extra weight out back...

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume from reading through your thread that you didn't try one of the same wheel in an 18" just to see if it would fit?

DWarner

Reaction score
I assume from reading through your thread that you didn't try one of the same wheel in an 18" just to see if it would fit?

No we didn't... I'd think an 18" wheel with a wide variety of tire sizes would fit but I'm not sure if this particular rim style is available in 18" or if they're certified to handle the weight load. You might inquire at discount tire if you have on in your area...

stew77

Reaction score
Your wheel tire solution looks great! I'm amazed that you were able to find a set of aftermarket wheels in the 20" size that would actually allow the clearance required by the LR4 brake calipers. Aftermarket wheels that actually work with the LR4 seem nearly impossible to find, except the excellent Compomotive 18" wheels that many are running.

I'm running a set of OEM LR4 20" wheels on our 2012 LR4 Lux model (the OEM 20" wheels are actually 8.5" in width so I think that's the major difference in fitment), and I chose the 285/50/20 Terra Grappler G2's which we love very much. Much beefier stance due to the increased width, and really the tallest tire I can run without rubbing issues (we have some extremely minor tire rub when backing up and turning completely full lock, and that is only when turning one direction...I forget whether it's left or right as my wife drives the LR4 daily). We don't experience any rubbing at all on a daily basis, unless it's full lock and backing up.

Last edited:

richardhdz

Reaction score
Your wheel tire solution looks great! I'm amazed that you were able to find a set of aftermarket wheels in the 20" size that would actually allow the clearance required by the LR4 brake calipers. Aftermarket wheels that actually work with the LR4 seem nearly impossible to find, except the excellent Compomotive 18" wheels that many are running.

I'm running a set of OEM LR4 20" wheels on our 2012 LR4 Lux model (the OEM 20" wheels are actually 8.5" in width so I think that's the major difference in fitment), and I chose the 285/50/20 Terra Grappler G2's which we love very much. Much beefier stance due to the increased width, and really the tallest tire I can run without rubbing issues (we have some extremely minor tire rub when backing up and turning completely full lock, and that is only when turning one direction...I forget whether it's left or right as my wife drives the LR4 daily). We don't experience any rubbing at all on a daily basis, unless it's full lock and backing up.

Hey Stew, can you show us some pictures of your wheels? I also have 20's and need to get tires but haven't decided size and width...

DWarner

Reaction score

Thanks...Your sounds pretty sweet as well. Love to see some pix as well...The 285 G2s probably make the stock rims look meaner than ever! Weren't you pleasantly surprised how quiet and smooth the G2's are? I like the rims we chose but I really like the tire choice. I'd be surprised if I ever run anything but an A/T on an SUV ever again...

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA