Painted roof tracks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone paint their silver roof tracks black? I have the full silver ones but want to change them to black without buying new ones.

What have people done to change to black?

ETA: Anyone want to switch?

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone paint their silver roof tracks black? I have the full silver ones but want to change them to black without buying new ones.

What have people done to change to black?

ETA: Anyone want to switch?

I bought some used silver ones off eBay and painted them black no problems. Little light sand paper, some etching primer and hit it with black of your choosing. Make sure it dries really well. No one will notice the difference if you take your time.

Other option would be to have them powder coated. Shouldn't be too much.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local coating company will do it in a few hours for me for $100 total. They will powder coat the aluminum rail and acrylic coat the plastic pieces. They will match the glossy side vent.

They said to drop off on the way to the office and pick up on way home. That way my roof will not be exposed to rain or water.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, when you see what's under those rails, you'll realize a little water won't hurt them!
I had quite a compost pile under mine after 10 years of debris collecting in there. Enough that I'm considering putting a bead of silicone along the rails of my newer LR4. I'm really surprised they didn't design it better than they did.

777AIA

Reaction score
I did this.. but all the black flaked off due to high temps in Phoenix. Have not found a good solution yet. My tail light guards now have a ‘brushed aluminum’ finish, as I peeled the rest of the flaking black off. Honestly would think LR would be more temp resistant with accessories...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA