LR4 Wheels/Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok; good information. Thanks.
I think I'm going to find out what the LR specs are on their 20" (optional) wheels; including offset. And what tires they use. I'm assuming they provide that option and still maintain off road integrity.
Yes, $700 for a set of wheels does seem on the low side compared to known brands. I'll have to check them out more closely.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok; good information. Thanks.
I think I'm going to find out what the LR specs are on their 20" (optional) wheels; including offset. And what tires they use. I'm assuming they provide that option and still maintain off road integrity.
Yes, $700 for a set of wheels does seem on the low side compared to known brands. I'll have to check them out more closely.

You may want to be sitting down when you ask the parts guy for pricing .... I'll go ahead and make a guess of $800-$1100 PER wheel for their 20's.

Your best bet is probably factory but used/take-off/parts cars.

You are correct to think that for safety reasons and overall best fitting, the LR wheels are the best route. This does not mean other wheels cannot work, but it's a simple solution with factory wheels. You could also have them refinished to your preferences if that's part of the issue.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great photos !
Having an LR4 means.....you Can take it with you !

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point on the weight rating. And yes, the dealer prices are to be considered only while seated.
If I get the optional 20" wheels, then I suppose I'll get some 'credit' for the stock wheels...?? .....but maybe I'm dreaming....

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point on the weight rating. And yes, the dealer prices are to be considered only while seated.
If I get the optional 20" wheels, then I suppose I'll get some 'credit' for the stock wheels...?? .....but maybe I'm dreaming....

The best way to get "credit" for stock wheels is to order the 20" option. It is not likely to get much "credit" after your ordered vehicle arrives, unless you have not fully signed on for ownership. Vehicles come in all the time and a person doesn't "take delivery" due to color or some other reason.

You will only have leverage before you take ownership. After that you will be able to get more $ by selling them yourself.

Factor in the $100 ea tire pressure sensors unless you strip the factory wheels and take the sensors. But then you are left trying to sell them without. etc.

By the way, how are you able to resist waiting for the new 2015/re-design LR5? Do you "need" the vehicle now? You know it's a v8 block with only 6 pistons to make it into a "v6" right? I just don't know if I'd be happy with that long term....

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several answers to your last question:
1. It's not clear that 2015 will have a re-designed LR4. LR announced changes to the Discovery line (LR2, Evoque, LR4); but hasn't been specific about what changes were coming when. We know that aluminum frames are coming.
2. I, and a number of others on here, are suspecting that Tata is wanting to go more 'mainstream' with Discovery, and so the new vehicles may not have the same off road capability. Besides, like the Evoque, they may look like an eroded bar of soap.....
3. I am not interested in the first issue of Any new design. I'm an engineer, so I know full well that first designs are better avoided. Especially with LR, who doesn't have the greatest Rep for maintenance.
4. The LR4 has been refined over the years. I Like the 2014's refinements, looks, etc.

As for the engine; someone else joked that the extra cylinders would be an ideal place to hide spare keys... :)

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really cant fathom why people cripple the LR4s offroad capabilities by sticking 20 inch wheels on them. If it's primary use is the soccer mom / school route, then that might make sense. Yet, another thing to consider is that you lose some on-road comfort with the smaller and stiffer sidewall of 20 inch tires. (Less rubber / harder rubber between road and rim to absorb bumps)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just curious. I agree on the first vs last iteration of something! I have the last version of a few vehicles:

2004 Discovery 2 with extremely rare "Aspen" interior
2008 Audi V8 S4 Avant 6 spd I bought new, fairly rare (only 1755 mt6 sold in USA 04-08)
2013 BMW R1200 GS Adventure

However, for me, the best last LR4 would be the naturally aspirated V8. You may be getting better seats though and probably fuel economy. It'll be fun and enjoyable regardless.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Yet, another thing to consider is that you lose some on-road comfort with the smaller and stiffer sidewall of 20 inch tires. (Less rubber / harder rubber between road and rim to absorb bumps)

Not really noticeable. The air suspension takes care of that for the most part. In my experience the time I had the 20's (bout a year) was perfectly comfortable but much sharper handling. However, when the aftermarket 17's become available, I'll be getting some. :beer:

How is the Magnaflow? I'll probably get one when mine rusts out enough.

To quote you ;p "I cannot fathom why" someone would waste so much $ on something as non-essential as an aftermarket exhaust when the stock exhaust is perfectly fine (if undamaged and not in need of replacement anyway - then, by all means, go for it!) Disclaimer: I have put aftermarket exhausts on several vehicles but usually only when there are clearly verified improvements in some aspect of performance. Without headers or down pipes, a cat back such as Magnaflow or anything else commonly available now for the LR is barely any improvement if any.

I have bigger down pipes on on the BMW N54 engine and the Audi 4.2. The gains are proven. Even better for the LR would be something like the Toyota crowd can enjoy which are headers and the full system for that nice V8 in the Land Cruiser, Tundra, LX570, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA