brake job cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the car in for a camera issue right now. Just got a call from the service advisor. No light on but he said I was down to about 3mm on front and rear. Roughly $630 for front and rear EA for pads and rotors so $1,260.

rover831

Reaction score
Just replaced the front rotors/pads/sensor at dealer - $890 before tax.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Does anyone remember how much was labor for F and R rotors/ pad replacement at the dealership?
How difficult is it to do this on your own? I mean any special tools needed? what is the issue with the e brake , and sensors?
I just ordered my OEM rotors / pads / sensors online and thinking about doing the brake job myself.
Any advice before I start it?

ilovbonezi

Reaction score
Over the Holidays brake light came on, Tulsa closer but Two weeks out in scheduling. Drove to little Rock dealership and they drove it to ME! $1600 WOW I didn't realize Labor, Pads, Rotors and Sensors cost that much?

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get a LR extended warranty or service agreement that covers these repairs? I have not bought my LR4 yet and these costs are BS.

shrinkboy

Reaction score
I just did all four rotors and put new pads on myself. You'll need a good jack (would not recommend using the emergency scissor jack as they scare the hell out of me) and jack stands rated for the truck weight. If I remember right, you'll need a 19mm and a 15mm socket and a T50 torx head, all of which are easily found at hardware stores.
Total time, for a rookie, was about four hours, and all the parts, including sockets and a heater so I didn't freeze in my garage came to under $750.

There are good how-to videos and part numbers posted elsewhere on this forum (I did the slotted EBC rotors and yellow stuff pads). Keep that extra $800 you'll save by doing it yourself for something fun.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fun part is doing it yourself! The extra 800-1000 you save is icing on the cake.
Did all 4 with OEM parts. Came out to 400-500 I think. Machine my rotors since they still had life on them.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here did them myself, these things eat breaks/rotors and it is just stupid, rotors and the breaks are undersized period. This is a heavy vehicle and LR has not address the issue for +10 years and counting. It is well known and ignored.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I asked the saleslady about the brakes. She was straight up about it. She said yes, they eat brakes cause they are heavy vehicles. I was thinking to myself, that Ive driven 5k lbs domestics for years and brakes were never "eaten". Evidently, LR needs to get this resolved.

You know Im still a few months out on my purchase but I'm thinking I may just go domestic again. LR4 is way cool but the negatives do add up. For what you get in a brand new, fully loaded domestic SUV and the price you pay, its hard to justify.

I'm squarely back on the fence, Ive got it down to the LR4 and one domestic and I'll try to hold my decision untill its the day I'm gonna sign the papers.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here did them myself, these things eat breaks/rotors and it is just stupid, rotors and the breaks are undersized period. This is a heavy vehicle and LR has not address the issue for +10 years and counting. It is well known and ignored.

Quite sure the brakes were upgraded in 2010 when the LR4 came out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA