Aftermarket rear seat entertainment system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a solution here and I realize there are some threads on this, but they're not really current and I would imagine the products in this area change often.

So I deferred the $2.5k RSES as the price was high and I thought we could just use our iPads. As it turns out, the family misses the convenience of a seamless system integrated into the headrest. I'm looking for options out there, but don't see a lot of quality ones.

What I want:
- Something that mounts cleanly or is part of the headrest
- Must be iPad supported as that's the ecosystem we use
- I can use it with headphones (wireless preferred but not required) or the stereo system if possible
- 90% of the time is for movies, games or surfing the net are a nice-to-have

What I don't want:
- Spend $2.5 on an aftermarket integrated system
- 1980s looking metal claw protruding from the headrest anchors
- Having to use a non-Apple display product (like Android or other 3rd party device that won't have any other purpose)

I actually really like this concept, but it's only for android :stupid:
http://www.vizualogic.com/smartlogic-product-info

For now the kids just use an iPad each, and if I can't find a better option we'll stick with that. I'm hoping some of you folks out there have found something better than the average $30 setup people are buying off of amazon.

Thanks!

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the standard Visualogic setup. It's a 1/3rd the price of the dealer, with a factory look. There is a USB adapter that comes with it and we just plug in a SSHD when we leave. Both kids (2 & 5) have figured out how to access thier movies, or music with the system pretty quickly. The other advantage is there is nothing that separates from it that could get lost or broken.
The only downside is the audio interface. The built in FM transmitter is pretty weak, and picks up a lot of feedback. The hedphone out to AUX in on the LR4 is just a PITA.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this thread is on topic of an issue i currently have. I wanted to know If anyone has replaced the front center speaker before. I have a 2010 Lux with Logic7 system. I have notice some distortion coming for that speaker and want to see if it is an easy diy?

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some research it seems there aren't a ton of options out there for headrest media players. So I've yet to pull the trigger on anything.

Rosen Electronics seems to have the highest level of quality with their AV7950H Headrests series. They appear to do the best at matching your leather color, texture, and stitching. However, finding actual customer reviews or pricing is next to impossible so it feels like a shot in the dark with them.

Then there are more common or popular products from brands I'm not familiar with like Visualogic, Power Acoustik, Soundstream, and XTRONS. XTRONS has a zippered leather flap that covers the screen when not in use which I like. Some of them have phone docs which is awesome, but that doesn't mean all phones are supported, and then if the phone port changes you could be hosed.

jaguardoc504, what visualogic product did you use, the one with the droid tablets?
Also what leather do you have in your LR4 and how does the headrest leather look in comparison?

I don't see any obvious way to remove the back of the seat or unlatch the leather.
How does one feed the wires to the base of the seat?
And would is it preferable to connect the power to the seats power line or to the cig lighter with an adapter?

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the visuallogic system that it seems they do not market any more, but they definitely still offer it. I have black leather and the head rest match very well. Also they are super durable 3+ years of two young kids using them.

At the bottom of the back of the seat you can disconnect the leather from the backrest pretty easy with a panel tool. It snaps back in pretty was too. I tied into the 12th power source in the front by the shifter. The top of the center console was pretty easy to remove. I also tucked the control module down by the shifter/HVAC ducts in the center console. All in all a pretty easy I install. I can only speak to the product I have, but I do like it very much.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you've got a positive experience with the aftermarket setup. Great info, thanks so much!

Unfortunately I'm unable to find any vizualogic headrest system that isn't the tablet one. Where do you find your model being offered still?

I use the visuallogic system that it seems they do not market any more, but they definitely still offer it. I have black leather and the head rest match very well. Also they are super durable 3+ years of two young kids using them.

At the bottom of the back of the seat you can disconnect the leather from the backrest pretty easy with a panel tool. It snaps back in pretty was too. I tied into the 12th power source in the front by the shifter. The top of the center console was pretty easy to remove. I also tucked the control module down by the shifter/HVAC ducts in the center console. All in all a pretty easy I install. I can only speak to the product I have, but I do like it very much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV