DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried installing the Fumoto oil drain valve? Just how close is the interference? Wondering if a valve wouldn't make for a neater drain. I too enjoy doing a visual on the nether regions occasionally so wouldn't mind r&ring the protection.

mko9

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried installing the Fumoto oil drain valve? Just how close is the interference? Wondering if a valve wouldn't make for a neater drain. I too enjoy doing a visual on the nether regions occasionally so wouldn't mind r&ring the protection.

I think there was about 6" of clearance. It has been 6 months or so since I did the job. The drain plug is facing straight forward towards the front and level.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What oil are you guys currently using? I was getting a great deal on Liqui Moly 5w20 5 liter jugs via an online channel but its not longer available from anyone in NA.... that I can currently find. :hello:

Wanted to stay with LiquiMoly as I run it in my BMWs. :hmpf:

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that I would provide more recent feedback. Using the tips and process outlined in this thread, I changed my oil for the first time today. Everything was super easy and straightforward. Thanks for the help!

I tried to use a universal oil filter wrench but it did not work. I just bought the 90 mm - 15 flute wrench. It is the best tool.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but get an 89 mm - 15 flute wrench if you can find it (I found mine on Amazon.) The 90 mm wrench will work as well as long as the filter cap isn't over-tightened from a previous oil change, but if it is there is just enough play for the 90 mm wrench to "skip" and round out the cap. 89 mm fit tight and has no play at all.

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine fit tight and had almost no play. Unlike the 90 you demonstrated on your original video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the torque spec for the OEM skid plate bolts?
Did our first (7500m) change yesterday with dealer parts. Except went old school from underneath with suspension raised. Installed Fumoto valve for next time. Very pleased to see LR put drain plug at the very lowest point, for a complete drain.
(Apologies if last night's post shows up)

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, my filter cap measures less than 88 mm, 87.5 to be exact. No wonder the 90 mm tool is sloppy. I ordered Assenmacher JA 19015 for next time. Their *** tools have always been really high-quality.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut