Windshield smearing ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vindio

Reaction score
This is sort of an odd question to post in a make/model specific forum, but here it goes.

We have a 2011 LR4, which is a dream to drive, *except* when it rains. I have installed the same wiper blades I use with all my other vehicles (premium BOSCH blades), and have even applied RainX to the windshield, but we still can't keep the wiper from smearing grease on the glass, which makes visibility a real issue when it rains.

Is there anything specific about the '11 LR4 glass that makes it hard to keep grease-free?

Any combo of glass treament and wiper blade model that folks can recommend?

Cheers,

v

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is sort of an odd question to post in a make/model specific forum, but here it goes.

We have a 2011 LR4, which is a dream to drive, *except* when it rains. I have installed the same wiper blades I use in all my other vehicles (premium BOSCH blades), and have even applied RainX to the windshield, but we can't keep the wiper from smearing grease on the glass, which makes visibility a real issue when it rains.

Is there anything specific about the '11 LR4 glass that makes it hard to keep grease-free?

Any combo of glass treament and wiper blade model that works for folks?

Cheers,

v

the rain-x solution is meant to be used without wipers. it's basically a layer of wax so the water beads will fall off without wiping. so... when you turn on the wipers after rain-x application, it will smear. i've had the same experience when i first tried it. your best option is to stop using rain-x, give all your windows a good cleaning with soap or glass cleaning solution and enjoy a clear view when it rains.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue before. I used Soft Scrub to really clean the windshield then wiped down the wiper blades with rubbing alcohol. Much better. Continue to wipe down the wiper blades with alcohol about once a month to remove grease and road grime.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might also be using to much rainx. A little goes a long way and you have to buff it off well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bosch wipers have let me down so many times. I just purchased the high dollar OEM from dealer. they work very well.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here...I think Bosch used to make wipers in Germany but like everything else, current Bosch wipers are cheaply made in China.

I went back to OEM wiper blades for summer as well. But in winter I have been using the winter wipers from Atlantic British and they work great. No more reaching out to grab an iced-up moving wiper blade to bang it on the windshield.

LINYLR

Reaction score
Same here...I think Bosch used to make wipers in Germany but like everything else, current Bosch wipers are cheaply made in China.

I went back to OEM wiper blades for summer as well. But in winter I have been using the winter wipers from Atlantic British and they work great. No more reaching out to grab an iced-up moving wiper blade to bang it on the windshield.

Thanks for the tip on the winter blades! I already ordered a set. No more reaching outside to grab the wiper for me either this winter :smile:

vindio

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your feedback. I gave up on the Bosch wipers, and installed a pair of the "Trico 25-220 Force High Performance Beam".

If these don't do the trick, I'm going with the stock OEM part.

Will report back in a few weeks.

v

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your feedback. I gave up on the Bosch wipers, and installed a pair of the "Trico 25-220 Force High Performance Beam".

If these don't do the trick, I'm going with the stock OEM part.

Will report back in a few weeks.

v

I just switched to the Trico Force as well. They are amazing. :bandit:

I don't have any rain x on the windshield but If I did I would remove it. That stuff always smears imop.

rovingtony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will definitely buy the Trico Force wipers after reading so many good feedbacks. The Bosch wipers I purchased sucks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut