DIY Oil Change for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only need 8 qts. of oil... You might be able to find it online, but with shipping, it will even out. The oil is very specific to Jags and new Land Rovers.

Technically, you can buy the Jag oil filter... ~$25.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are talking about a different style of engine. On an engine with no drain plug and a top mounted cartridge style oil filter (i.e. LR4 engine) I feel that it is best to loosen the filter first. This allows the oil in the filter to drain into the oil pan. Then you can syphon the oil out, once the oil is out you can replace the filter. The filter will have had time to drain and it won't be dripping with oil when you pull it out of the housing.
Even if you have a drain plug I feel that it is still better to loosen the filter first. If you drain/siphon the oil then pull the filter the half a quart or so of old oil that was in the filter gets dumped into your oil pan and mixed up with all the new oil.

If your engine has a drain plug and traditional oil filter mounted on the bottom or side of the engine you can do it any way you want.

My LR4 has a drain plug. I would assume they all do. However it is much easier and faster to pump the oil out the top than remove the skid plate and make a mess because the oil doesn't drain straight down

drbec

Reaction score
I went today to get the filter and oil from the dealer. The Jag and Land Rover filter were the same price, $19. The oil was 10.99 a quart. So the DIY price was $120.... but the dealer does an oil change for $101 plus tax. They worked me right in.

Now I have a Mity Vac sitting at home......... :)

Once my warranty runs out, how important will it be to use the Castrol SLX? Or can I just use Mobil 1 for a lot less?

h8cold

Reaction score
I believe the oil capacity is 8.48 quarts not 8 quarts. The owner manual states 8 liters. (1 liter = 1.06 quarts x 8 liters = 8.48 quarts. am wrong on this?

Oil change was easy and clean. Next time it will be faster.
Thanks

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h8cold,

It does specify 8 Liters, but in the last two LR4's and the last two Full sized RR's, I have never gotten to the 8 liter mark on my MityVac, even at the initial 1000-1500 mi. oil changes I have done. The stupid electronic dipstick thingy indicates full with 8 quart fill, but who knows how accurate that thing is. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put the extra 1/2 quart in, especially if you are going to do long oil change intervals. After the initial 1000-1500 mi. change, I change every 5000 mi.

Did you get to the 8 liter mark on your vacum pump...?

P.S. Audi electronic dipsticks are notoriously inaccurate, but you can buy a real dipstick, as the dipstick tube is still there...

h8cold

Reaction score
Yes, looks to be right on it. Check it and it's at the max mark. It will probably tell me it's over filled 2000 miles later :). Love the easy oil change, hate the electronic dip.

I've posted someplace else, but what is the pattern/direction for tire rotation?

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I use directional tires, so my only option is Front to rear on the same side... Unless I want to dismount and remount tires to put on opposite side. I always get an alignment after the initial 1500-2500- miles to make sure all is well. Not once has the alignment been spot on, so LR pays for the first one. I have found that having correct alignment allows for pretty even wear... I am also super picky about tire pressure, so I think that helps alot.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Conducted my second oil change today, and decided to use the pump method. It is so easy, that lifting the car and trying to find the drain plug seemed like too much work. It took 8 quartz, and was (as usual) a breeze.

Car now has 42k on the odometer after 15 months of ownership. It has been a tank!

-B

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy any parts from Rosenthal Land Rover of Tysons Corner in Virginia, make sure you check prices with any other dealer!

They tried, and actually did sale the Oil Filter to me for $50. I am glad I read this forum ,so I knew that price should be around $29. I called another dealer, confirmed the price of $29, and then returned the filter to Rosenthal...

Now the question - did anyone do the research how the oil that dealer sale for $10 per Qtr is different from any other synthetic oil from auto parts? I think it is BS. Just want to make sure... ?

jcc4299

Reaction score
service required light reset

I changed the oil myself about a week ago and now the service required light is on.
How are you resetting yours?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV