LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it looks great, off road functionality is highly questionable. Useless wheel / tire combo and as always the RRS makes major sacrifices for ground clearance and approach / departure angles.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the latest I could find in the Defender. These renditions are a step in the right direction FAR better than the terrible little jelly bean concept.
But no one will know what the Defender will look like until LR wants us to know.
http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...-2019-land-rover-defender-an-icon-reinvented/

I agree, this sounds well better! Perhaps I will consider getting one instead of an old defndr.

manual transmission! :) and apparently no bloody air suspension! gosh I hate that thing. Let's hope they don't mess up the design.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air suspension (with IIDTool) is one of my favorite things about the LR4! Normal comfort and height commuting around town, off road capability at the press of a button! Pretty damn slick.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air suspension (with IIDTool) is one of my favorite things about the LR4! Normal comfort and height commuting around town, off road capability at the press of a button! Pretty damn slick.

With IIDTool what do you go to for off road? Ive yet to use the tool to raise farther than the factory highest for off road.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The instructions walk you through it, but I believe there is a limit how far you can extend and each truck's limit is different by a few mm. I believe my lift is around 45mm front and back. It's been a long time since I set it up though. Once you go through the hassle once, you just save the EAS as a preset and you can quickly toggle between stock and any of the 3 presets that you can create.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to send you a PM. I may buy my mom a RRS or Disco Sport.

It may depend as much on your budget but I think the RRS is much more vehicle for the money and probably a higher resale value over time with it being more exclusive once the cheaper disco sport is sold for a few years. For example, I think a base RRS would be a much better choice than a loaded DS.

It sure was simpler when in the US there was just the Discovery or the Range Rover. Very simple choice for most people and often some would just have both in a family.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is mention of a special package for off road. They'll also do a performance on road package. They will have different wheels sizes other than 22s. Look guys, they are going for more mass appeal and they will achieve that... but for those who are worried they are gonna completely wussify it's off road chops, I think you'll be fretting for no good reason.
There's a lot of good stuff going on within LR. Be excited.
Those are some good looking trucks, my concern is we've heard these rumors for years and while they are going to come out, it'll be years before we see them in the U.S. We're still 2 years out from an LR5, right? (Discovery, non-sport).

That 2 door Defender jeep looking thing is really nice looking.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may depend as much on your budget but I think the RRS is much more vehicle for the money and probably a higher resale value over time with it being more exclusive once the cheaper disco sport is sold for a few years. For example, I think a base RRS would be a much better choice than a loaded DS.

It sure was simpler when in the US there was just the Discovery or the Range Rover. Very simple choice for most people and often some would just have both in a family.
I think we are going with the RRS. I am actually flying to Boston on Friday night (arrive Saturday morning) and then will go with my parents right to the Land Rover dealership in Norwood, MA. I've been working with a sales guy there and we have narrowed it down to a Fuji White or Corris Grey. I'll keep you posted, but won't hijack this thread anymore.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we've kicked around the Defender in this thread...what do you guys think about this?
I think this is the direction they should take. I think it needs to be a modern version of the retro style.
Dont know anything about it. Could be a Defender rendition or someones older rendition of what they thought the LR5 should be...Could go either way. But Im thinking zdefender cause of the two doors....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving downtown last week and ran across this. Only available through a custom process right now but they are coming to production.

It's been confirmed that the new Defender is coming in a 4 door truck configuration but the word is the trucks won't make it to the US. I'm wondering why? Considering the monster our success for 4 door trucks in the US, I just can't see why they wouldn't bring them here? Gotta be some reason, I'd just like to hear it. They say they need to sell 100K of the Defender a year and they are leaving out a huge opportunity for a huge chunk of that? Anyone have ideas?

That hasn't been confirmed, just that it's been said that its "not expected to make it to the US"...so it could change but t me it's a no brainer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72