Just bought a '11 LR4 HSE LUX (sort of)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAgrownCOgirl

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I just signed for the vehicle yesterday with the dealer - it was a one owner trade in on a '15 - and will take them a check after my 3rd party inspection is done Tuesday; there was no way cash was exchanging hands without that!!

My only concern is this: there is about a 2" crack on the lower windshield plastic cowling where I assume the PO got overly aggressive with a ice scraper - it is Colorado after all! - and it's got some lifting around the seal. I'm concerned about water damage but, should I be? If the 3rd party inspection checks out should I still take the vehicle? I also feel like I should demand the dealer pay to have the piece replaced but, I'm not sure how to do that because I already feel like I negotiated a pretty good deal but, I'll let you all confirm that!! :)

Car stats:
HSE
LUX
White/Tan
70k miles
1 owner; tons of dealer records & clean carfax
Dealer is in the mountains and delivering it to me 2.5 hrs away at no extra charge as negotiated
Price: 27,650 (a few hours later lol)

shrinkboy

Reaction score
Could you send a picture? I have a missing piece in the shroud (Colorado winter - got overzealous and punched out a section of the honeycomb area trying to get the ice out from the base of the wiper arms) but that's not going to leak into the cabin.

CAgrownCOgirl

Reaction score
Thank you for replying!! I can try to post one, yes. It's the black plastic moulding on the base of the windshield itself approximately 1.5 inches southwest of the left whisper blade mounting. So, well above the honeycomb....

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CAgrownCOgirl

Reaction score
You'd think I'd be better with technology- I'm doing my generation shame here but, I can't seem to get the picture to upload!

Paul, the part you linked to is exactly what I'm looking for THANK YOU!! That information will be helpful when it comes to negotiating down my already agreed upon price after the inspection comes back.

My plan is to - within reason - say I'll split the cost of repairs needed because I do think I negotiated a pretty peachy deal so far (yes? no?) or,
if the repairs are low cost and routine just get the money off my asking and take it to a private specialty shop for the work or,
of course walk if they come back with a legitimate pricey laundry list of concerns. What do ya'all think?

As a single woman in her late 20's buying a car like this on her own I'm trying to be as informed as possible!!

I've done a lot of research on these vehicles - yes, I've been online stalking all of your posts here in LRW ;) - and I have wanted an LR4 to use as a snow weather/camping/road trip/dog vehicle for a long time but, as I live in downtown Denver I always came up with excuses about how "impractical" it was - silly me trying to be all grown up and stuff :)

Anyhow, thank you all so much again for your help and feedback! Let me know your thoughts on the above.....

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price seems fair but at 70K miles, make sure you check the repair history and/or vehicle for front suspension issues such as worn tie rods, ball joints, bushings and wheel bearings. Be aware of a clunking noise when going over bumps (worn bushings) or a humming noise coming from a front wheel bearing. Many of us have had these items replaced around 70K miles and it can be expensive. (My total was almost $3K for all those issues)

You won't find a better vehicle for road trips through bad winter weather to go skiing, go hiking/camping/mountain biking, transport a dog & gear, etc.

CAgrownCOgirl

Reaction score
Thanks, Paul! I took it on a pretty good test drive and didn't sense anything amiss but, I'm not tuned into the LR's yet.

I did have a fun moment when I "shushed" the salesman during the test drive so I could listen to her go over a row of rather high curbs on each side at varying degrees. It was again fun when I slammed on the breaks - pre warned him of course - and then talked about how I wondered if she had ceramics to which he scoffed; turns out they are :)

At any rate, I should be getting the inspection results back from the other LR Dealership sometime this afternoon and will post them up here.

Thank you again!!!

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced that cowl on my car, not the end of the world. Part is reasonable for LR and the dealer could replace it in 10 minutes. If not, happy to help, I'm local.

What dealer are you buying from?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I echo Paul's comments. Carefully check tires, brakes, bushings, hubs/bearings. Major wear items given the weight of the LR and you are in the mileage sweet spot for all of them.

CAgrownCOgirl

Reaction score
I'm working with Roaring Fork up in Glenwood Springs.

The tires are virtually new as are the brakes. From what I felt on the rotors they seem okay as well but, we'll see. They'll definitely be checking all those other items and if there are any issues with them I'll definitely try and talk the dealership into splitting the costs or taking it off my purchase price and taking it to a private shop down here.

Thanks for the offer of assistance I'm sure I'll be talking you up on that at some time!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV