steering wheel humming noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my first issue with my LR4. Every time I turn the wheel (left or right) there's a loud humming noise that I feel in the steering wheel. And it gets louder the slower I go. Power steering issue maybe? It's currently in the shop now. But I'm impressed I've gone this long without having issues.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise could be from a damaged pump (usually for a reason... Steering fluid leak or contamination. Or, holding the steering on full lock position for too long.) If it's more of a squeak than a hum, it could also be the steering gear's pinion seal needing lubrication. There was a TSB about that, as that's a fairly common occurrence on LR3/4/RRS. Are you still under factory warranty?

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise could be from a damaged pump (usually for a reason... Steering fluid leak or contamination. Or, holding the steering on full lock position for too long.) If it's more of a squeak than a hum, it could also be the steering gear's pinion seal needing lubrication. There was a TSB about that, as that's a fairly common occurrence on LR3/4/RRS. Are you still under factory warranty?
It's certified pre-owned. So hopefully the warranty will cover it.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
steering rack and pump has gone bad. Waiting on warranty to respond if they will cover it. They should right? Does Land Rover CPO outsource their warranty stuff? Or does Land Rover handle all CPO vehicles directly?

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will take care of it, that's something that would be covered. I'm pretty sure they handle all CPO warranty work themselves also as i've taken in my truck a few times for a few things and they are the ones doing the work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV