Should I go for a 2016 LR4 with NO heavy duty option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my current lease on 2013 LR, with HD option, is up and there is a really sweet Kaikoura bronze 2016 at the local dealer that has piqued my interest. The only thing is, it is without the HD option which, according to LR's site, means I don't have a full size spare (no biggie, I already have 5 Compos) and more importantly I will be sans the twin speed transfer box and active rear diff.

I do offroad and semi-overland trips 2-4 times a year...would I miss the non-HD functions?

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would think if you do go offroad and have the HD option now. you will miss the HD package. Do you have any good videos? I want to see me good quality videos of the LR4 offroad.

Thanks

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your 2-4 trips are family camping trips with just gravel rounds and little in terms of obstacles then you won't miss it much. You might need to stack a few rocks to get over something.

If your trips are more than that, then yes, you will miss it. If you really "offroad" then it's not even a question, you need to have a low range transfer case, full size spare and lockers. Just my 2 cents.

I went to moab on a moderate trail with a truck that had lockers and my buddy took his 2015 RRSC (only electronic traction control - no lockers). He struggled immensely. I was tired of waiting. What should have taken 1 hour took 3. This is an experienced driver, who's driven fully locked Jeeps.

I'm guessing since you're asking the question, that you probably haven't been doing this long or "wheel mildly" although owning the Compo's is throwing me off. My response is, if you believe your trips will continue to be the same then go with the truck that you like. If you envision making this more of a hobby and exploring even more remote places, then I say get the HD package. Even if you don't always need it, it's very nice to have that backup capability as a safety. Especially if you are out there by yourself.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the other fellas. IMHO, you can't really off-road confidently without a low range option, even with 8 shortish gears doing a credible impersonation in the dirt, such as the transmission of SCV6 powered LR4s. You could definitely get by without rear lockers, but as we all know since 2014 Land Rover doesn't do that anymore, it's either all or nothing. Personally, I would not feel confident taking a Land Rover - or any 4x4 for that matter - off the beaten path without the option of engaging low range, should the going gets rough / steep / rocky / muddy, etc.

Overlanding, as in driving in the boonies on fire roads and easy dirt trails, should be no problem with or without low range. Then again, you could probably negotiate those trails with most 2WD vehicles with high clearance.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to overexaggerate the type of trips we go on but it's a little more than just driving on gravel. Anyway, I appreciate all the comments and agree that this being a LR, there is no reason not to have rear lockers. Plus, I want to keep the v8. I'll keep playing with the current rig!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 w/ the 8-speed transmission and also the HD package. The 8-speed doesn't come close to the low range when I want control down a steep or slippery slope using compression braking or when I want more control going uphill over over rocks. I don't do crazy stuff but there have been many times when I was glad I had low range - it just made it easier. So good call on staying with your 2013! Good not to get lured in by a pretty face. ;-)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to overexaggerate the type of trips we go on but it's a little more than just driving on gravel. Anyway, I appreciate all the comments and agree that this being a LR, there is no reason not to have rear lockers. Plus, I want to keep the v8. I'll keep playing with the current rig!

Awesome to hear you say you will keep the 2013. It is the last year of the V8 and to have HD pack is pretty rare.

I also have a 13 w/ HD and to be honest... Having it age a little and wear in isn't making me feel bad at all. (Ha. even though its only been a couple years... wow) I don't feel as bad getting it truly dirty and a bit scratched up. I can always get it cleaned up or repaint a panel later. I know I will have to put some money into it as a break things and wear out some expensive bits, but I hope it lasts a very long time. I plan on keeping mine for a very long time.

I've got 40k on mine as of now.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 50k on it already and it's gotten beaten up pretty bad from all the desert stuff I went on but it's wearing the bruises proudly :)

Elinders

Reaction score
Since your lease was up, and you are keeping it, I take it you bought it? How did you do with your lease and residual value etc?
My wife and I are trying to decide on a cpo 2013-2014, or lease a new one and think about hanging onto it after the lease is up. So I'm always interested when I hear stories of people actually buying theirs.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome to hear you say you will keep the 2013. It is the last year of the V8 and to have HD pack is pretty rare.

I also have a 13 w/ HD and to be honest... Having it age a little and wear in isn't making me feel bad at all. (Ha. even though its only been a couple years... wow) I don't feel as bad getting it truly dirty and a bit scratched up. I can always get it cleaned up or repaint a panel later. I know I will have to put some money into it as a break things and wear out some expensive bits, but I hope it lasts a very long time. I plan on keeping mine for a very long time.

I've got 40k on mine as of now.
I am in the same boat as you - I agree completely.

I plan to keep my 2013 with HD package for a while. Plus, I just spent my extra car budget getting my mom a 2016 RRS. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA