Side vent replacement on LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a 2012 LR4 and I'm blacking it out little by little.
I got a new set of black sidevents, and I can see how they are attached to the duct with 4 tabs.

The issue is I'm not sure how you actually get to the tabs when it's installed on the truck. The side vents are recessed in the metal, and there's no way I can see to get to them from inside the engine compartment.

I found some videos on how to replace them on an LR3 (basically just yanking them off), but I'd like to not break the original vents as I might use them later.

Anyone have a "how to" on getting these off?

Thanks!

pic attached...

Attachments

• 2015-11-26 16.25.27.jpg
    2015-11-26 16.25.27.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the LR3 method to the point I felt like I was going to break something so I quit. (pretty proud of myself, usually I keep going til it breaks)

Interested as well....

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roverman hit the nail on the head. You have to use quite a bit of force and prying at the correct angles. Just keep at it and they will eventually come out. When you think you are pulling too hard, pull harder. I think I had bleeding fingers in the end.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roverman hit the nail on the head. You have to use quite a bit of force and prying at the correct angles. Just keep at it and they will eventually come out. When you think you are pulling too hard, pull harder. I think I had bleeding fingers in the end.
Yes, I agree. You really have to pry a bit and I also scratched the tip of my finger. I recommend using a thin credit card if possible, that helped pry it out a lot. I changed them out on my 2011 about 3 times. :)

chrisp

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. You really have to pry a bit and I also scratched the tip of my finger. I recommend using a thin credit card if possible, that helped pry it out a lot. I changed them out on my 2011 about 3 times. :)

Seriously? They designed it just so you have to pull super hard? haha
The tabs look pretty self explanatory until I realized there's no way to reach them without scratching the hell out of the metal surrounding the vent.

Parking brake has been acting up so I'm bringing it into the shop and will ask them while I'm there. Will report back if I hear of any "tricks" There's always a trick :)

JuniorRover

Reaction score
Sorry bout the pics, but today i had the chance to plastic dip my grill, wheels and side vents. I have the facelift version and after watching the LR3 vids i can tell you the tabs doesnt look the same. Theres two tabs on the top and two at the bottom.

It was just trial and error, i ended up using a long flat head to unclip the tabs from the gap within the bonnet. Just unclip the top tabs by pushing it down and pretty much after it is loose just give it a bit of a yank and it should pop out.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

chrisp

Reaction score
Sorry bout the pics, but today i had the chance to plastic dip my grill, wheels and side vents. I have the facelift version and after watching the LR3 vids i can tell you the tabs doesnt look the same. Theres two tabs on the top and two at the bottom.

It was just trial and error, i ended up using a long flat head to unclip the tabs from the gap within the bonnet. Just unclip the top tabs by pushing it down and pretty much after it is loose just give it a bit of a yank and it should pop out.

Ya, that seems to be a much better approach then yanking. I've talked to a couple dealers about it...and they charge $160 or more to do it. Such ripoffs.

Did you get to the tabs from outside the car or in through the trunk?

The main issue I had coming from the outside was the vent is recessed into the metal panel pretty well...so I wasn't sure how to actually get a flat head back there without damaging the metal surrounding the vent.

Did you pull it towards you before going back there? I was also thinking about making a plastic tool to dig in there.

It's strange to me there are so many videos about taking out the LR3 side vent...but so little about the LR4.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how I removed my side vents:

Line the sides of the vent with painter's tape to protect from potential scratches.

Using metal dry wall putty knife/spatula (metal ones are thinner than plastic spatula), push down (approximately at a 45 degree angle) on the two clips located at the top sides of the vent (you can google images of the vent to get an idea of their location) . I used two narrow putty knives, one for each clip, and hammered them down with a rubber mallet. You can hear the clips give way. Keep the spatula in place to prevent the clips from re-locking.

Grab the vent from the bottom and pull towards you.

JohnR

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, on my 2010, you could reach the tabs with a long screwdriver from above through a hole near the hood hinge.

JR

Jonty25252

Reaction score
Side Vent Removal

It's super simple! I take as much time as is needed I wax the auto! Simply pop the hood, press the tabs on the highest point of the flame broil, then give a firm (yet not commanding) pull on the base of the barbecue and it will pop right off!

The side vents not as simple but rather sufficiently simple. I've utilized a level, obtuse prying apparatus (to pry the base up then they too pop off!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA