Question on discos reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wyatt

Reaction score
I am debating weather or not to purchase a 2003 Discovery but am worried of the reliability. Is it really as bad as I am hearing? I am 16 and don't drive much so I will probably won't put more than another 1000 miles on it by the time I graduate. Is It worth a shot?

RedRoverMike

Reaction score
I'd like to hear some input on this too.. Considering I just got my Disco and it's my first car

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Reliability is what you make of it. Do you take care of it and do you fix issues as they come up. For that matter did the previous owner/owners.

My first Disco 1997 I had for 12 years before the frame rotted out (my fault I didn't wash it like I should have) but as far as real maintenance, I had very little in the 12 years I owned it. Lots of add on and upgrade expenses. But other than oil changes and a fuel pump I didn't spend more than $1000 in the 12 years and 60k miles.

My Second Disco a 2002, I had for 3 years and spent around $1200 in repairs and about that or more in upgrades. I only put 4k on it in 3 years. My biggest expense was head gasket.

The 2003 biggest known issue is oil pump...but this should already be taken care of by now.

Now keep in mind my wife had a Honda Minivan that cost more than both rovers combined in repairs and around same mileage.

So reliability can go either way.

Wyatt

Reaction score
Thanks bought one

Thanks got a 2001 today for $3600, has 166,*** miles but the top half of the engine has been rebuilt 30,000 miles ago and has new transmission and altenator. Did I get a good deal?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound bad at all... around wholesale pricing so you didn't do bad as long as the work was done well you shouldn't have any issues for a long time. Just remember if something does come up fix the issue quickly to prevent costly problems later.

Wyatt

Reaction score
Had a scare

Went to crank it up and no power. Turns out the positive battery cable was loose I think my gravel road finished the job. Anyways just tightened it and tied down the battery and now it's all good.

Edit: Good news is the battery and cables looked new no leaks anywhere.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say you tied the battery down, please tell me it has an very sturdy battery ******** there. If you ever plan to off road and you using say a bungie cord, this will not hold up to rough driving and when the battery does come loose it will short out and possibly explode. Not something you want to happen anywhere.

Wyatt

Reaction score
I did use a bungee cord but I don't plan on any off road ing until I get it more secure

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick